We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report- highlights

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lasalle
Level Contributor
260 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report- highlights

Arrived on a Wednesday mid morning, stayed at Place d'Armes. Nice quaint hotel, looked just like the million pictured I looked at. Walked around French Market area and waterfront for a while then had lunch at the much talked about El Gato Negro, of course tried the margaritas and they were fabulous! Did more wandering and wound up at Jean Lafittes Blacksmith shop for a couple drinks. BF decided we would definitely be going back there. Later went to the free concert at Lafayette park to see George Porter. Sampled a few food offerings from the various restaurant booths. Sat next to a guy and his dog for a while, he had lived in New Orleans for 26 years. I asked him what brought him there. "Mardi Gras" was his response. "But Jazz Fest kept me here" was his next comment. Thought I would share that. Highlight of the night for my BF...meeting up with 4 Saints cheerleaders who happened to be wandering around the park. So I graciously took his picture with them...lol. After concert walked back down Bourbon Street, our first time ever, wow, bar after bar after bar......girl swinging out window in lingerie and heels....bar...bar...very interesting indeed! Made our way over to Jackson Square where we took a carriage ride with a nice couple from California, I think this was around 10pm, great time to go and we stopped back at Jean Lafittes Bar for carriage curbside service, how perfect! Very nice way to end the evening, highly recommend the carriage ride. OK thought I could do the whole trip in one report so stay tuned for more....

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report- highlights

Looking forward to hearing the rest. "Mardi Gras brought me here . . . but the Jazz Fest kept me here." I love it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report- highlights

DMBM--Too bad we never had a chace to meet up and say hi while we were all in NOLA. Oh well. Maybe May 2012. Nice report and glad that you like El Gato's margaritas. Can't wait for more!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report- highlights

dmbm, thanks for sharing...glad you had a fun first day! The description you gave of Bourbon is why we kind of ignore the street now...it's also why we stay in the lower end of the Quarter. So glad to hear you thought El Gato's margaritas are fabulous....I'm thinking of one right now...but haven't mastered their taste yet (may never, but it's fun trying! And I might try again when I get home from work!) waiting for more!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report- highlights

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a fun first day.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report- highlights

Mardi Gras brought Herm and Deny to NOLA but margarita's and hurricane's brought em back.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report- highlights

LOLOL! So true Axle!

Karen

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report- highlights

actually not! It wasn't until our 4th trip that we did Mardi Gras...it's just NAWLINS that keeps brnging us back...as with most!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report- highlights

Yes, thanks for sharing you seemed to get the most out of New Orleans for one day. Lookinf forward to reading more..

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report- highlights

We were also at the George Porter show at Lafayette Square! Great show, and really nice set-up. Check out his Facebook page- if you remember, he took photos from the stage of the fans - you may see yourself there! As we were right up front at the railing, my husband and I are in several - makes me wish I stuck with my pre-trip diet ;-)

My husband wanted to get his photo taken with the cheerleaders, too. I convinced him they were all trannies ;-)

lasalle
Level Contributor
260 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report- highlights

LOL- willow, we wandered around the park for most of the night, went up near the stage around the time the drummer was doing his blind solo which was pretty cool!