We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland,CA
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

I am going to NO next week with my son. I was told that We must eat at Coops but I just read on Coops web site that it is a bar and they don't serve food to people under 21 years of age. Darn! Are there other Restaurants I should be aware of that will not serve us?Thank you for your help.

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

It's not because they are a bar - it's because they have video poker machines. I somehow imagine they have that 1 machine on purpose, lol.

Anyplace that has gambling (such as video poker) is off limits.

LA law on drinking is kind of interesting - there is a nice thread about minors being able to get alcohol if their parents buying it - but they may need to be 18, not sure.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

Oakland.........Coop's is a nice joint but NOLA has a lot of nice joints that your son will be welcome. Where are you staying. Napoleon House is nice. There's a courtyard and the main room has big open doors so it's like being outside there. Johnny's has great po boy's. Get a po boy or a muffaletta from Central Grocery and eat lunch on a bench in Jackson Square.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

Geolili--Yo Mama's has gaming machines too...so that one is out as well! There's always the take out option!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

Here are some links to threads with information about traveling to NOLA with Teens.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k376592…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k331056…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k261096…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k96643-…

Good Luck!

Oakland,CA
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

Thank you all for the information, suggestions and threads.

We are staying at the Hotel Monteleone for the week of June 5th to 11th, and it is our first trip. The take out option was great but I would just like to be aware of it ahead of time so we can plan to eat out side. I'm a little worried about the heat. It's 61 degrees and rainy here in Oakland today so it's going to be a big change in a few days.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

I really don't think you and your son can take the heat and humidity to eat outside in June. We're having a serious drought issue as well so not even an afternoon shower to cool things off temporarily. Choose restaurants where you both can enjoy the a/c. Monteleone has a nice pool area which you will grow very fond of.

In addition to the other suggestions, he may enjoy Domenica's in the Roosevelt Hotel for pizza, a John Besh restaurant. Does he enjoy good food? Jacque-Imo's is one of our children's favorites...funky, fun, and good pricing but will require a cab ride. Our son always has enjoyed Lucy's Retired Surfers' Grill & Bar in the Warehouse District. Red Fish Grill is a good casual restaurant which would be a good choice. Don't forget Cafe du Monde for beignets in the morning.

I would be sure and take him to the WWII Museum to at least see the Tom Hanks' movie showing in the building across the street. You can buy timed tickets on line. It is outstanding!

If you need other teenage boy suggestions, let us know. Don't worry too much about restaurants..they are everywhere and usually good.

Oakland,CA
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

Ok I feel like I'm starting to get a grasp of our vacation.

I've only made dinner reservations for our first night at Red Fish Grill. It is close to the Hotel and recommended. Thank you ILoveLouisian... for making me feel I made a good choice. My son does enjoy good food.

On Monday we are doing a Segway tour and then exploring the FQ .Just plan to wander or out anything of interest that was pointed out on the tour.

On Tuesday we plan to explore the Garden District. I want to start out early and take street to Lafeyette Cemetery, eat at Commader Place for lunch and walk around Magazine St.

Oakland,CA
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

On Wednesday we are doing a Plantation and Swamp tour with Plantationadventure.com . No plans yet for dinner,

On Thursday we plan to visit the WWII Museum and do Preservation hall that evening,

Friday and Saturday are still open. Maybe Rock and Bowl? Cooking School if they allow 16 year olds? Any more suggestions?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

Goe--The School Of Cooking does allow 16 year olds! It is a great deal of fun and the food the chef cooks for you will be delicious!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,552 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling with 16 year old- Restaurants vs bar

"Don't worry too much about restaurants..they are everywhere and usually good."

I just wanted to second this. Yes, there are some favorites here on TA, and a few of them don't allow minors. But that still leaves hundreds of places where you and your family will be able to get an excellent meal without having to eat on the street or perched on the edge of your beds in the hotel. :)

Worry not. And enjoy The Monteleone. It's one of my favorites. But I have to say their pool area is small for the size of the property. You may want to go early if you can.