We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

Is there public transportation from the Airport to French Quarter?

If so, where do I go and how much.

If not, how much is a taxi?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

Taxi is $33 plus tip for one to two people. Each person after two is an additional $14 dollars. If you are solo there is a shuttle that is less, (not sure, maybe $17), but it is slow and will make many stops. For two people the taxi is actually cheaper and it is definitely faster.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

i bit the bullet and took the taxi, u get there right to your door and in good time. I spoke to some people who did the shuttle to get to hotel i was at and they said it was hour and half.

i got there in 20 to 25 minutes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

There is public transporation via a bus. You ride Jefferson Transit and then connect to the New Orleans RTA once you get downtown or, if your hotel is close enough, walk. It's only a few dollars but isn't as convenient as in, say, New York!

I always recommend a cab. Since it's $33 fixed, there's really no guesswork.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

Unless you're really hurting for cash, the taxi is your best bet. Public transportation from the airport isn't difficult, but can be confusing because the airport is not in New Orleans but in the nearby suburb of Kenner in neighboring Jefferson Parish. Orleans and Jefferson Parish have different transportation systems. As others have said, the shuttle is only a "deal" if you're traveling alone.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

Escher--Definitely take a cab. $33.00 bucks for two people. In the shuttle you drive round and round and round. I would NEVER take the shuttle.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

I have to chime in my vote for the taxi as well. Did the shuttle once and never again!

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

Taxi is $33 for up to two people, plus tip.

Shuttle is $20 for each person, plus tip.

E-2 bus is $2. The E-2 , M-F, goes to the corner of Loyola/Tulane which is about 5 blocks from the edge of the Quarter. Easily walkable. If you ride the bus, you must carry only one small roller bag, backpack or case. There is a front section of seats which the bag will fit under. The bus runs @ every 25-30 minutes and does not make as many stops as a regular bus. It takes @ 40 minutes from the airport to the downtown area and will show you a different part of NOLA. Depending on which hotel you are in, you can get off the bus, walk two blocks to Canal St. and catch a streetcar, or just walk to the hotel. No one in NOLA thinks a thing about pushing, pulling, carrying luggage around. One catches the E-2 outside the airport on the second level just before the Delta check in area. There is a small sign showing the bus stop area.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

Thank you for this good description of exactly how to take this bus. This is exactly what I will do on an upcoming trip.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

Take the cab. You will be checked in your room and down at the local bar having a cold drink before the bus/shuttle makes it. Good luck.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from the Airport to French Quarter

Don't forget, $33 is considered insufficient fare by New Orleans cab drivers. As in taxi situations anywhere, they expect to be tipped and some NOLA drivers I have encountered make clear they expect to be tipped well. I have met some real nice NOLA drivers of course also. Round trip of $80 to the airport is in my view a travesty. Just returned from Portland where public transport is clean, fast and under $3.00 per person from airport to downtown and it is as long as the same trip in New Orleans. As many visitors as come to New Orleans, you'd think they would do some transportation planning which would benefit the traveler.