We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report day 2

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
trip report day 2

Day 2 of New Orleans.

Get up early this morning so I have a tour of New Orleans. Actually it is a post Katrina tour.

Which is going to go to the damaged and rebuilt areas from Hurricane Katrina from 2005.

First all I go for breakfast at the Checked Parrot and have a buffet, fills the spot as I had not much time to find breakfast but needed food.

So the tour is with Tours By Isabelle. A good company. I will write a separate review for them.

So here is the description of the actual tour.

begin in the French Quarter, virtually untouched by Katrina, giving the history and architecture of this old Creole city: Jackson Square, St. Louis Cathedral, the Pontalba row houses and an overall view of the Mississippi River Port, levees & flood walls.

Drive by the French Market, the old US Mint, the stately mansions, and St. Louis Cemetery #3 along Esplanade Avenue.

Ride along peaceful Bayou St. John, we view raised houses from the late 1700s and explain their architectural significance in a city below sea level.

Drive along City Park, we reach the London Avenue Canal Breach and view from the van the complete destruction it caused.

Arrive at UNO’s campus along Lake Pontchartrain's shores, where our levee system is explained and the longest of all bridges, the Causeway, is seen from the van.

Drive along the Lakeshore past the remains of the Southern Yacht Club and the marinas, we reach our second levee breach at the 17th Street Canal and view from the van the violent and utter destruction it caused to the Lakeview neighborhood.

Stop for a refreshment & restroom break in Metairie.

nice area

Drive though the once flooded Gentilly and New Orleans East neighborhoods continuing to witness the huge scope of Katrina’s devastation.

Cross over the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet, MRGO, explaining its impact on the loss of wetlands and coastal erosion.

Arrive in Chalmette, St. Bernard Parish, where the size of our vehicles allows us to drive through a demolished neighborhood caused by yet another levee failure.

Driving through the Lower 9th Ward, we witness both the desolation and budding rebirth there, showing Brad Pitt's "Make it Right" rebuilding project. Then drive across the Industrial Canal to see the largest Levee Breach which demolished it.

Ending on a positive note, we show Habitat For Humanity's colorful Musicians' Village site in the Upper 9th Ward and return to New Orleans' downtown, pass the Superdome and Convention Center.

area of trouble

www.toursbyisabelle.com/tours_neworleans.html

Overall

Overall this was a very interesting tour. I highly recommend all to take it as the city had such a bad time during the storm.

After tour then it was off to lunch and a walk down to the waterfront to the Oyster Festival that was going on.

There was a many bands play and lots of types of seafood that could be tried out. A good spot to have some lunch. Very hot so I got a beer from a nearby spot of Abita again and it made things all better again.

Later on after walking around in FQ I took street car to the Garden District and explored the nice homes and buildings in that area. Very historical area. Highly recommended.

Then it was off for a dinner of Jumblelyla and it was great. Then once again evening on Bourbon St of lots of excitement.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report day 2

" Very hot so I got a beer from a nearby spot of Abita again and it made things all better again."

Isn't that the truth? Enjoying your report and looking forward to more!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,631 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report day 2

World--The City Tour is really worth it to see how much New Orleans has come back since the storm. I really enjoyed seeing Brad Pitt's Make It Right houses. Three years ago when we took the tour Brad had no houses up. It good to see what is happpening now!

What can you say about Abita beer? That is the best beer on the planet!

Really enjoyed day #2!!!!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report day 2

Keep em coming!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report day 2

yes...keep 'em coming! Glad you enjoyed the City Tour, the Oyster Festival, the beer, the music, the food,,,,but...what's NOT to Love about NOLA?!?!?!

5. Re: trip report day 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 04:17