We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans in early October?!

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans in early October?!

I am thinking about surprising my gf with a trip to Naw'leans for her birthday (she has always wanted to go). However, I have never been there during the month of October. Can you gimme some advice? Basically I am looking to know what the weather is like during the beginning of October? Are there any events during that time of year? Is it very "touristy" or are there lots of conventions in town or is it just dead?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

PS I am from South Florida so I know there is still a slight chance of hurricanes, so no need to add that in.

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans in early October?!

October is a wonderful month to visit NOLA - since it's just starting to turn from summer to fall the humidity is kind of hit and miss, but for the most part the weather is great.

Actually it's also a big convention month so if you're really serious, you might want to get started on getting a room reserved.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans in early October?!

October would probably be a great month to visit, as ccolor said. The heat & humidity won't be AS bad. And New Orleans is never dead. You'll have a great time.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans in early October?!

My husband and I LOVE going in October although we usually go in mid-October. The weather is always so nice and we felt it wasn't crowded at all. We don't stay in hotels though, we stay in guest houses, so I don't think the conferences have much effect on us.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans in early October?!

October is a perfect month but it's football season and convention time so book a room soon. Stay in the FQ at Le Marais, Provincial, Place D Armes or St. Marie. If you want to step up a notch stay at The Roosevelt, Ritz Carlton, Royal Orleans or Monteleone. Take your GF on a streetcar ride to the GD and have lunch at Commander's Palace in the Garden Room. Good luck.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans in early October?!

October is a fantastic time here. Agree w axle's recs.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans in early October?!

Stayed at the Monteleone before... absolutely breathtaking. Heard of the Place D'Armes, St. Marie and Roosevelt, but Ill def check out the rest.

Question, will the Bourbon Street experience be good during that time? (i.e. will there still be a good amount of people out, maybe even on the balconies throwing beads, etc.) Also, speaking from my experience down here in South Florida, are all the restaurants open during that time? Our season here starts in mid-October so sometimes there are restaurants that are closed until then.

Thanks again for everyones help so far!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans in early October?!

Bourbon Street will be quite lively, esp on the weekends.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Orleans in early October?!

If you go Oct 6-9 I will personally be throwing beads from the balcony! We will be at the Inn on Bourbon.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Orleans in early October?!

Restaurants in NOLA remain open year round. Some are closed on Sundays and Mondays but some are open all week. Go to Emeril's in the CBD or Tommy's Cuisine. Go to Lucy's Bar down the street.

Go to Muriel's, Galatoire's, Mr. B's, Bayona, Stella or Irene's in the FQ. Good luck.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Orleans in early October?!

Venis--We went at the end of October for Halloween and the weather was gorgeous! Perfect days and perfect nights! Early October might be hot and cold...but you'll still have a great time Lynch has even offered to toss some beads at you if you're there Oct 6-9!!! What more can you ask for :) There usually are conventions and things in town that can drive up the room prices, so if you book around the events it won't be so expensive to book a room. Have a great time and have fun!!!!!

Edited: 13 June 2011, 21:37