We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

My daughter and I spent the day in the Quarter one day last week. We both wore comfortable sandals but with the extreme heat and the uneven sidewalks and streets, we would have been much happier in tennis shoes.

Save the cute sandals for walking short distances to dinner!!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

That is exactly what I always tell people. Running shoes may be hotter on your feet...but they are the BEST shoes to wear walking around in the Quarter!

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

Isn't that the truth! Thought of you and Herm while we had lunch at El Gato Negro. We sat next to two gentlemen who inquired how the margaritas were. We, of course, highly recommended them and while we chatted, it turned out that one of them has a son who owns Voodoo Barbeque on St. Charles Ave. and in Baton Rouge. He gave my daughter a coupon for a free platter. She was thriled! Very nice way to end a leisurely lunch of fish tacos!!

P.S. With the street construction on Magazine St., you really need to wear your running shoes there too!!

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

My husband and I like Voodoo Barbeque and have eaten there a few times.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

I use sneakers with the air cushion and always have two pair...one for the day and another for the evening....due to a back condition...so my evening wear is black sneakers. And with the sizzling summer you need a daytime clothes set up and one to change to in the evening.

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

I bought a great pair of New Balance in Mardi Gras colors. They definitely aren't for exercise walking, etc. but will work just great to wear through the Quarter (IF I can get used to wearing anything but sandals in the summer - hot feet you know!). I just need to find Mardi Gras shoelaces now............

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

ILove Louisiana--That was so sweet of you to think of Herm and I while you were at El Gato!!!!! Hopefully you enjoyed your margaritas as well as the two gentlemen you nsat next to! That was nice of them to give her the certificate for dinner at Voodoo BBQ! Has she tried it yet? Did she like it? Hope so! BTW how were those fish tacos at El Gato? I have heard that they were really good! You'll have to let me know! If I can try a carrot margarita and like it...maybe fish tacos wouldn't be too bad.

Are you going to join the Flok in May 2012?????

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

We both enjoyed the fish tacos (sauteed talapia) but didn't have a sauce which I found different. We added guac, onions and salsa so they were fine. I like them with shredded cabbage and a mild creamy sauce but it could have been a language breakdown when ordering. I do like their beans and rice. The service was very good but the food was slow in coming out for some reason. It still has some of the cleanest bathrooms that I've ever seen in the Quarter.

My husband and I would like to try and make the Flok in May...we'll be around but week nights are usually harder than weekends.

Did I mention that my daughter and I had a fabulous meal at Dick & Jenny's?...outside of the Quarter but such wonderful food and service in a funky old house. You must give it a try one day.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

Nope. You can't convince me my Naots sandals and their heavenly footpad aren't ten times better than sweaty sneakers ;-)

Actually, I brought my Naots, my Adidas sneakers, and a pair of Teva sandals. Even in the lesser heat of May (but it WAS still hot for a New Englander!) after one use the sneakers went back in the suitcase.

They definitely have to be good *walking* sandals though, not some cutesie thong type.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

I Love Louisiana--Would love to have you in May 2012! It'll be a hoot and there will be LOTS of us!

If I could ever get myself away from the wonderful Mexican food, I should try the fish tacos! Did you get a chance to try the Nachos at El Gato? OMG!!! They are soooooo delicious! They only do breakfast on weekends only and it is something for me to live for till we get there again! Plus the margaritas of course...great breakfast drink!!!!!

Willow--Did you honestly walk around in sandals all the time? Brave woman!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be sure to bring your tennis shoes!!

Den - I tried the sneakers, honest. My feet were SO hot. I did have to wash them pretty thoroughly every night ;-)

At least I didn't wear the 4" silver sequined heels ;-)