We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Canal Street recovered yet?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has Canal Street recovered yet?

I know it sounds strange but one of my favorite things to do is walk down Canal Street in the morning and watch all the tourists and locals going about their business. Canal just always seems to be bustling and busy and full of life. The footage of the looting on Canal was heartbreaking for me and I was just wondering if the street was recovering.

Mentioned in this post
Canal Street Inn
Canal Street Inn
198 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has Canal Street recovered yet?

Canal hasn't recovered nearly as fast as some would like. Part of this is due to the fact that the bus lines aren't converging downtown like they once did and the foot traffic is way down. Also, the "urban clothing" stores don't have nearly as large of a market as pre-K. I think (hope) Canal will get a newer and slightly more upscale mix of shops to go alongside the tourist junk, luggage and electronics stores!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Has Canal Street recovered yet?

That would be nice, CW. I agree, Canal Street could use a facelift. Walking down Canal and patting the statue of Ignatius is a ritual that says to me "Now I'm really in New Orleans!".

Mentioned in this post
Canal Street Inn
Canal Street Inn
198 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has Canal Street recovered yet?

bridge: Canal street is still a bit scarred.Depending on if and when you visit, canal street will have people walking etc. The business has not completely revived itself, but in time it will.

We were down to Mortons Steak House last Sat. night. The shops are not fully opened, but the hotel lobby is cleaned up and open.

It will take more time for things to sort out. There are many factions involved in this recovery, both political and financial.

This will take a little time.

Mentioned in this post
Canal Street Inn
Canal Street Inn
198 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Midlothian VA
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Has Canal Street recovered yet?

Can someone update the information on this thread? I will be in NO next week and would appreciate any updated info on Canal Street.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Canal Street Inn
Canal Street Inn
198 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Seabrook, Texas
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has Canal Street recovered yet?

We were in New Orleans at the end of Sept. and do not think Canal St. is back. It looks OK at the Harrahs end but the farther up the street you go there are many boarded up businesses. We did not see as much foot traffic along the street as we remember pre-Katrina. Even though there have always been homeless people hanging out on the sidewalks, we thought there were more this trip. One block over towards the French Quarter and you would never know the storm hit.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,463 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has Canal Street recovered yet?

Canal Street is a problem still. The City spent lots of money on new granite sidewalks and palm trees and that part looks great. As has been mentioned, a lot of shops are closed and the ones left are cheap clothing stores that don't attract very upscale shoppers.

Mentioned in this post
Canal Street Inn
Canal Street Inn
198 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Midlothian VA
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Has Canal Street recovered yet?

Thank you both for your replies--I was hoping that it might be further along but since I have not visited since Katrina, I really do not know what to expect outside of the French Quarter. I am sure that when I have taken the tour of the devastated areas, I will have a much better understanding of the scope of the damage there. I really believe that anyone visiting NO now needs to go and take this reality check tour.

Seabrook, Texas
Level Contributor
210 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has Canal Street recovered yet?

asoutherngal,

You will be humbled by the experience of seeing the Katrina destruction. We are so glad we took the tour. I feel so much compassion for the people of New Orleans and The Gulf Coast.

Sherry

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
9. Re: Has Canal Street recovered yet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 05:48