We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re true impressions of restaurants

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
149 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Question re true impressions of restaurants

Hello everyone!

This is a strange question, but do y'all get a true or honest impression of restaurants when they know you're coming and set up your flocktail meetings there? What I mean is, are the managers or other employees not at least occasionally reading TA, hence knowing you'll be coming in, so of course your food/service are going to be above average? I read some replies from management, mostly hotels I suppose, but I'm just curious and this is certainly not suggesting that I don't trust your opinions, I do, but I read Deny777's review of July 8th of a restaurant, but Deny, did they know you were from TA? I've gotten a lot of good info re our trip to NOLA next week, and I love reading TA before we go anywhere! Thanks for the help!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,624 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re true impressions of restaurants

Dominee--I'm not with TA at all. I am just a traveler to New Orleans who always goes with my sister Hermicane. Which review of mine did you read to think they knew me? Just curious.

I have to say that El Gato Negro KNEW we were coming in May 2011 because they read that on TA, but no other place knew we were going to be in town because we don't really know anybody else in the restraunt biz (except Heather from Remoulades). However the staff at El Gato was way wonderful long before they got to know us, the food has always been delicious, and the margaritas are the best in the world.

I'm just curious about your post. If you could please explain to me a little better I'll try to help anyway I can!

Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re true impressions of restaurants

Oh, LOL!!! Maybe I have never read how TA actually works then! I thought y'all were like the experts "through" TA and that the Flocktail is only for the regular experts that give us the good advice. Your review that I read was for Red Gravy but I guess I took it to mean that y'all - the TA experts - had called ahead, meaning that they knew a TA group was coming in! When I saw it was you, it made me wonder how the "group" stays anonymous, but I understand now! You sound as though you REALLY are moving to NOLA one day & that is great! Thanks for your help.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re true impressions of restaurants

Well, my review of Red Gravy (on yelp) was over the top, too- and I assure you I am "nobody". :)

No one on this Forum is on anyone's payroll so please take our reviews as truthful- and welcome to the Forum!

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re true impressions of restaurants

Dominee, I'm not a TA destination expert nor was I part of the Flocktail Group, but I can tell you that we ate at Red Gravy twice within the last five days (on our recent trip to New Orleans), and this cute cafe's chef and staff served us the best meals of our trip. Have a great time next week!

Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re true impressions of restaurants

Well, I had always wondered & not just regarding NOLA if the owners ever "recognized" anybody, but Red Gravy service sounded very special for just "anybody" is really why I asked specifically about them, BUT it sounds like the lady was just really excited & wanted to be extra sweet - and southern, of course, b/c it sounded a lot like something I would have done relating to hospitality, he-he! It wasn't about an over the top review as much as what all Roseanne had waiting for them....what a grand southern welcome, I love it!

Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re true impressions of restaurants

All right, I'm glad I had Red Gravy on my list! ACMama, you have the prettiest dog in your pic. Lili, I did read about your trip & eating twice at Red Gravy, laughing out loud because it sounds like my husband & me when we find a place we like. Deny, hope it's cooler up there than here! Many thanks again, folks.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,082 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question re true impressions of restaurants

Hi Dominee, I'd also like to chime in on this! Roseanne (VeraBlue) knew we were coming, as will Denise from Muriel's next May, because we are a large group of TA people and for those occasions, I take a "head count" and make reservations. Our Flokin Cocktail Tour happened rather unexpectedly, as a group of us TA posters decided to get together in May, as we would all be there at the same time.

In some places, the food and service is outstanding. Deny and I are never hesitant to lavish praise on those places, as we've always believed that excellence should be rewarded. On the other hand, if we get bad service/food/etc, we will also make note of that (granted, it doesn't happen often in NOLA!) None of us like to "condemn" a place because of a bad experience (after all, it may be waitstaff who is quitting, a different chef, annoying fellow patrons, etc)...and we generally give a place a second (even third!) try...The only one I, personally, will NOT return to is Cajun Cabin.

Places that consistently offer outstanding service and food will have us all crowing! And most of them don't even know we post on TA!

Edited: 26 July 2011, 12:32
Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question re true impressions of restaurants

I would like to throw in my .02 worth too. While we are all just normal travelers trying to help others with our impressions, it may seem that we give out a lot of good opinions on many restaurants. It is very simple--it's called survival of the fittest.

I am not a regular visitor to NOLA, but I know it is a lot like Sedona, AZ which I do know quite a bit about. How can it be similar? Because they are both tourist destinations. Competetion is fierce for the tourist dollar. There are way too many restaurants and hotels to accommodate normal activity. One has to rely on the tourist, or die. It is that simple.

And tourists talk. If a company has a convention in NOLA and everybody has a poor experience or meal at an establishment, then it spreads like wildfire. This was prevalent before the internet era, but it is even more evident now. If you don't have outstanding food and service, the place across the street does, and next thing you know, the bank is calling in your loan.

New Orleans has it's poor establishments, as do all tourist meccas. But they are short lived normally, and few and far between. This city has an outstanding reputation for restaurants, because there are so many they have to stand out or whither.

Sometimes as TA participants, we can find ourselves splitting hairs. But I am not aware of instances (other than large announced groups) where any of us are known--we are regular folk just like you, trying to help. But don't think for a minute that good establishments aren't aware of TA. That just makes them all the better, even if they don't know us.

Daphne
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question re true impressions of restaurants

Herm

Tell us why you will not go to Cajun Cabin and maybe save us a bad experience.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question re true impressions of restaurants

No one in the establishments knows me as someone from TA unless I indicate so and I don't and we try new eating places as much as possible as well as many different hotels although we do have a no. 1 favorite place. One time someone recognized me at a restaurant due to the fact I had just been there a week earlier for a Tom Fitzmorris eat club dinner but all it resulted in was a very nice conversation.