We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from the Airport

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Getting from the Airport

Has anyone taken the airport bus from the airport into Downtown?

If so, is it worth taking if you have a tight budget (traveling family of 5)?

We're staying in the French quarter and I've been told that it's a 10 - 15 minute walk from Canal / Tulane to our hotel.

Thank you all in advance for your advice.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from the Airport

First, keep in mind that the cost of a cab ride will only be $13 per person. If the airport cab stand tries to restrict you to 2 in one cab, and 3 in another, driving up the cost to $15 per person, call United Cab direct (they have cabs that will accomodate 5 people).

The E-2 Airport bus is a viable option if you are NOT traveling on Saturday or Sunday (bus does not go all the way into the Central Business District on Saturday and Sunday), you can board the bus before 5:30 PM (the bus leaves the Airport infrequently after 5:29 PM), the bus will arrive in the Central Business District before sunset (you do not want to be in the neighborhod where you get off the bus after dark), you have light luggage (there are no luggage racks in the bus or streetcars), and you are willing to walk and/or take a streetcar to your final destination (requiring relatively nice weather). The bus and route are designed more for commuting workers than travelors.

I took the bus one time and it was an OK experience. I might consider doing it again if I was traveling alone, requiring either a $33 cab fare or $20 shuttle ride; the bus COULD possibly be quicker than a shuttle ride if your final destination is close to Tulane/Loyola (the streets not the colleges). Fact is, my time in NOLA is valuable and I'm usually traveling with someone or can find someone to share a cab with.

Edited: 27 July 2011, 22:42
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from the Airport

Loop, isn't there a legal limit as to how many people you can stuff in a cab?

bkchef, if I recall correctly, your kids are around 8 or 10 years old? Walking 15 minutes (or more--they always underestimate!) dragging luggage and 3 young kids in NOLA heat and humidity (and possibilities of sudden downpours) I think it would be in your best interests to take a cab. Even on a tight budget--it will be well worth it.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from the Airport

The taxi fare will be $14 per person, not $13. The Airport cab stand sometimes limits it to 4 persons per cab, but United will arrange for a mini van or SUV that hold 5-6. Once you have 3 in a cab, the per person rate is at its minimum.

Edited: 27 July 2011, 23:10
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from the Airport

Cab is $33 flat rate as far as I know. Ask the taxi stand dispatch to find you a cab that can take your entire family. There are many minivan or SUV taxi cabs and that will be the best option. Depending on where you stay in the FQ, it might be a 30 minute walk from that bus stop at Tulane/Canal to your hotel and that's not a fun way to start the vacation with the family. The taxi is going to be 1 expense you'll find worth it! Maybe skip out on a few souvenirs to save in return?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from the Airport

Cab is only $33 flat rate for UP TO 2 people. After that, it's just what Loop said - $14 per person.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from the Airport

Just wanted to add that Tulane and Loyola UNIVERSITIES are in pretty different locations than Tulane and Loyola AVENUES. Take a look at a Google map just to get an idea of distances for yourself.

Also note that the airport is about 15 miles from the heart of Downtown - not a "short" distance in any city standard, so the cab price is well worth it, IMO. Public transport here can be frustrating time-wise. If your children are used to inner-city transportation, I say go for it because it's clean and safe. If it would be something new to them, take the cab.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,770 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from the Airport

The Airport/French Quarter cab fare for three people in one cab is $14 per person NOT $33 plus $14. I have read that cabbies sometimes try to overcharge the the $5.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from the Airport

Right, I didn't get that across correctly! Looking back, I see that it seems I was saying $33 plus $14. Not what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from the Airport

Take the cab for 5 if United can round one up for you. Otherwise take two cabs. The bus in not worth the trouble. It's fine for one person if you are not in a hurry. Take good care of your family and take em to the FQ the safest route. Good luck.

Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from the Airport

We too, will be coming to NOLA - and I was interested to read about the $33 cab fare. I just have 3 questions...

Is this a flat rate for 2 people regardless of how long it takes?

Is this rate applicable to all cab companies operating out of the airport to the Quarter?

It it also the same rate when I have the hotel arrange a cab to take us back to the airport at the end of our stay?

(not sure if I should have started a new topic , or added on to this one)