We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
Save Topic
Safety

We will be visiting NO next week for the Junior Olympics. I have been following the news. My question is how safe is NO. We are staying on Canal Street. We plan on doing the tourist thing. Are there certain area's that we should not venture to?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

The area surrounding Canal St. that is Southeast of (towards the River from) O'Keefe St./University Place/Burgundy St. is generally considered safe subject to the use of precautions applicable to all US urban areas. There are also other generally safe areas.

Edited: 27 July 2011, 23:24
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,540 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

"We are staying on Canal Street."

"We plan on doing the tourist thing."

Can you be more specific on both of these points? Like Loopwhole pointed out, the Canal Street area is generally safe. But it would be easier to give specific advice if we knew where on Canal Street you are staying, and what "tourist things" you have in mind.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
38 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

I've stayed on Canal several times at the Sheraton and never had a problem. I've found that the people of NOLA are very nice and they just want to have a great time 24/7. You will know where to go and where not to go once you get there. Follow the crowds, have a hand grenade or two, and let the good times roll! Have fun!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Use common sense like you would in any city.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

The area N of Rampart near I 10 and E of Canal Street is not considered very safe. Stay S of Rampart in the day and you will be as safe as you would in most any city. The FQ and CBD are safe in the daytime and early evening. After dark call a cab to be sure and don't walk around dark areas late at night unless you are with a big group. Don't worry. Use good judgement and have fun.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

Generally the quarter is very safe. Have fun!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

We will also be visiting for the AAU Junior Olympics. How is the area around Ted Gormley Stadium? This is a very expensive city, by the way, to hold a youth-orientated event such as this. I hope they consider more family and cost friendly venues in the futue. I realize that the AAU Junior Olympics rotates through various cities...wait till they hit Detroit in two years! I think they need to re-think their host cities.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

If by the "tourist thing" you mean flashing body parts on Bourbon St for beads, then, no it is not safe.

If by the "tourist thing" you mean, eat beignets, walk the French Quarter streets, window shop for antiques, listen to live music on the street and enjoy the architecture on Canal St, then you will be completely safe as long as you remember you are in a big city.

Conduct yourself as you would in New York City and you will be fine.

With regards to the Ted Gormley Stadium ,it is in a residential area next to the country's largest privately operated public park, City Park. City Park is free, fun and family-oriented. There are parts that do cost admission, such as the train for kids or the carousel, but there are many acres to explore. The Botanical Gardens are educational and cost only $6 for entry, I believe. The park and playground next to the swamps with the ducks are free and filled with kids and families having fun. To get to downtown from the stadium, consult the NORTA (public transit) for the maps for the clean, safe and cheap streetcar which take you up to the entrance streets of the New Orleans Museum of Art, which is also on the City Park property.

Hope everyone has a great time for the Junior Olympics.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety

Thanks for your input...most appreciated! I would love to visit the city with just the hubby, but not sure if its a place to bring my kids! However, we go where the sports go, so New Orleans it is! I have been doing lots of research, being this is our first time to N.O. You have put my "mom's" mind at ease.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety

iscrk4409, although I prefer to visit New Orleans when it is just my husband and I, I have also taken my children many times. And now that they are grown I have taken my oldest grandson and he had a great time. They have a wonderful zoo and aquarium. Also for those interested they have an insectarium. My grandson (11yrs.) loved Cafe du Monde and he loves gumbo so I lost count of the places where he tried his favorite meal. As for expense, as far as cities go I don't find it any more expensive than others. But I do realise that if you have to constantly pay entrance fees for two or three children plus parents it can get to be a bit much. But there are plenty of inexpensive places to eat.