We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Report

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Report

Okay, got back yesterday. Some quick notes. The Alpine was okay. The food was good but the service slow. A good deal for the groupon but I wouldn’t go there without it. Ran into Lord Chaz as he was on a walking tour. I patted him on the back and said Go Buckeyes(knowing that he was from my state of Ohio). He gave me a great big bear hug. Then later as I was at my fav bar, Johnny White’s he came waltzing in, saw me and sat and talked for a while during the Saints game. Great guy. Also Lucy at Johnny Whites is the best bartender in the city. I always stop by this bar on every trip and there’s no better place to watch a Saints game.

The Villa Convento was fun as usual. Where else can you get a room with a queen & full sized beds for only $69/night? Bourbon Street was insane Sat night as usual. Sunday night was the opposite, not too many people which I loved. The food at Tequila Rita’s was pretty good actually. High quality Mexican food and reasonable priced. Yum! El Gato was excellent as usual. The Chart Room-very inexpensive drinks and was packed. Everyone and I mean everyone had on Saints jerseys over the weekend. Brees jerseys were the most popular and good luck finding a deal on one at the shops in the Quarter. They are expensive! I did do some scouting around and was able to find a Sharper jersey for only $19.99, even though he prob wont be with the team this season. Still a great deal. There was a store on Decatur going out of business and most everything was 50% off so I got a lot of neat souvenirs for cheap.

The Clover Grill was fun again. Had lunch there which was quick and tasty. Used the coupon at Mango, Mango for a BOGO drink. Yum! Oh, Vieux Carre Pizza, fantastic! There used to be a tiny window place on Bourbon that served slices of pizza but a year ago they replaced with an a place called the Swamp or something. Anyway, I discovered the Vieux Carre Pizza instead and it was good. $3 for a slice of cheese pizza. YUM!

Big Al at the Funky Pirate was swamped with people, could barely make it in Sat night. In contrast the Funky Pirate had only about 10 people in it for the acts Sat & Sun afternoon.

The flight on Delta were really good this time, no delays. I highly recommend getting yourself a Delta Sky Club pass. Free food, drinks, papers, big chairs, nice bathrooms. Each pass is good for one day of travel. I was able to get one on ebay for only $14 and it was well worth it!

That’s about it right now for the quick report.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Report

Thanks for posting Paul. TRs always brighten my day. Where is the Vieux Carre Pizza located?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Report

Paul, thanks for the quick report! Glad to hear Alpine was passable...will use our Groupon, but from the sound of it, doubt we'd go in without it. What did you have?

Glad you and Chaz had a good time...we've nevr done JW's either--must put that on "the list" if only to have an Abita and meet Lucy! VC sounds great, love most of the places you mentioned ('cept I'm not big on pizza...Den is--may have to try it!) Now we have to do Tequila Ritas too...passed it many times, but must try the food and drinks...can't imagine we'd give up EGN for it, but...another "must try" now! More please!

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Report

That's a great tip about the Delta Sky Club pass. I was all set to jump on one and then remembered our layovers are only 47 minutes going down and 1 hour coming back. In Atlanta that should just about make it plane to plane without time to sit back and fuss. Now that I say that, there will be some kind of hiccup along the way and we'll end up sitting in a terminal for hours. Murphy's Law!

We may have to check out the pizza place - it looks like it's right around the corner from the Inn on Bourbon which would be an even bigger plus!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Report

sounds like a great trip; I'm on countdown mode, one week and 2 days from now I'll be touching down in NOLA!!

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Report

Herm, Rita's is good for a quick bite as you can get single fajias and tacos. Eating at the bar is fun. VC Pizza is located right off of Bourbon and is also good for a quick bite. At the Alpine I had the Garlic Filet Mignon and BBQ shrimp.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Report

The Skyclub passes are worth it if you have a long layover, plus you can use them in multiple airports. Having experienced it I never want to fly again without getting a pass, but be sure to get them on ebay at the cheap rates.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick Report

If you have an American Express Platinum Card you can use Delta's SkyClub's. But there's an annual fee at AE.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick Report

Txs for the trip report. Hard to believe I'll be there again in 36 days! Can't wait to do exactly what you did, and more.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick Report

Paul--Thanks for the trip report! I always love to read them. Glad to hear that the Alpine was okay! Slow service I can live with as long as the food is good. We bought our certificate too and are going to have eggs benedict with it. Our report on The Alpine will be May 2012!

We have walked by the Tequila House so many times! Maybe I'll try the burritto there! I checked out the menu and that sounded pretty good. Thanks for the heads up!

El Gato was as wonderful as usual I take it? Screw the regular margarita. Next time we go we're going to get the Macho Man margarita! I'm sure we'll have NO problem polishing that off--with Pancho Villa Nachos to boot!!!!!

Many thanks for the heads up on the pizza place! I do plan to have a slice there. I could live on pizza so it's always good to know there's another place I can try!

If you remember any more details that you want to share with us...feel free! Would LOVE to hear it!

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick Report

Paul, is the pizza place one of those which is open late at night? Its always good to know of places where you can satisfy the late night hunger that comes after drinking and dancing on Bourbon St.