We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
1 post
Save Topic
We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

My husband and I are planning to stay at the Ritz for two nights this weekend but it looks like a big storm is coming. We have two little kids we are leaving at home so we can get away alone. Not sure if it's worth it though if there is a big dangerous storm? What should we expect? Any advice? Thanks!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

Hi Sis... We also have a flight booked to NO this Saturday. Though no one has posted replies to your question, there are some pretty good replies to another worried traveler's post immediately after yours. The trouble with the feedback is that the advice is still pretty split. My husband and I are on the fence about canceling, but will decide tomorrow afternoon. We're booked on Delta, and I was told by the agent that I spoke with (earlier today) that they will not charge change fees if an alert "bulletin" is issued. Based on the stirring in NO (even the Mayor's press conference about the preventative measures already being taken), I expect that this airline "bulletin" should be issued.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

it's not forecasted to become a hurricane. It's a slow moving tropical depression that is expected to drop lots of rain that could cause flooding on streets that normally flood. The French Quarter doesn't flood; in fact, crews and local residents have been making sure the drains are clear.

Most concern is aimed at the coastal parishes.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

Regardless of what the exact track and intensity end up being, this thing is basically gonna drop a lot of rain here the next several days. It's forecast to be slow moving so that can increase the risks for flooding in areas prone to it. Like Vera says, the Quarter and CBD don't fall into those categories. Unfortunately, models don't take it out of here before Tuesday.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

If heavy rain will ruin your trip, then cancel. I don't foresee it being much more than rain with some guests added in. My weatherman friend says 10% chance of becoming a hurricane and 90% chance of remaining a mid-strength tropical storm.

I don't know if this helps or not. It's a tough call.

For what it's worth, I have 4 friends in town (arrived last night) and they are bummed about the rain but have resigned themselves to using an umbrella!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

Lots of rain and winds will pick up...as KCK indicated if this would interfere with the plans you have for visiting I'd find another weekend.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

Sorry KCK..meant CajunWave....new picture for CW threw me off.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

Yes and with lots of rain and wind, power could be lost. I wouldn't want to be in a hotel without power. If you do come down, choose a low floor just in case and bring flashlights and battery-operated fans.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

Looks like too much rain to visit to me. I would change my plans if possible as long as you don't lose your deposits. Good luck.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
549 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

If you do go, umbrella's are pretty useless cuz of the wind. See if your local dollar store carries those plastic raincoats. Good luck

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We are nervous about this tropical storm/hurricane. Advice?

The weather channel is predicting 20" of rain in New Orleans..... I'd cancel!