We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You know you love a city when.....

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
You know you love a city when.....

You've been going there every year since 1995 but one (d*amn you, Katrina!) at least once, more likely twice, you've just been there 4 months ago, and are STILL so excited it's hard to function knowing you'll be back again in a few days.

Bring on NOLA - we're reaaaaaady!!!!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You know you love a city when.....

When you think about being there all the time and just breathing the air when step out of the airport makes you happy!

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: You know you love a city when.....

And the sound of Zydeco and seeing a Lucky Dog stand inside the airport......

NO wait - bayou's beside Lake Ponchatrain as you're circling MSY.....

NO wait - getting on the plane to leave home.....

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: You know you love a city when.....

Seeing that long bridge from the plane's window and knowing that you'll be there shortly...the heavenly anticipation of KNOWING you will be touching the ground and getting NOLA grundge on the bottom of your shoes!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You know you love a city when.....

You know you love a city when....your friends/co-workers tell you that you are obsessed and you can turn any conversation into a discussion of New Orleans.

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: You know you love a city when.....

jlr51 - Oh honey, you are SO right!!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: You know you love a city when.....

Can perfectly picture yourself sitting at Pat's on the sunny court yard, listening to the splashing fountain, and feeling the hurricane oozing down your parched throat....

Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
65 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: You know you love a city when.....

You are so right CColor, its the people, the smell, the taste's and mostly the anticipation of that next trip. We even went down 2 months after Katrina because it was planned. We never get tired even though we do alot of the same things time after time. Sometimes we go 3 times in a year just because. Come on October 6th, the wait is killing us

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: You know you love a city when.....

Yup, I get those looks too at work. :)

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: You know you love a city when.....

OMG Jlr, you hit the nail on the head. I have even found myself thinking, as I am yet again telling people something about NO, that I know these people are saying to themselves "Gee, here she goes again." But I carry on talking anyway. My "you know" thing is when you are getting ready to back to New Orleans you refer to it as "going home again."

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: You know you love a city when.....

You deal with broken sidewalks, heat and humidity, the Bourbon Street "aroma", the strange looks from friends and colleagues (are you going there AGAIN?) and cannot wait to be there! When your entire kitchen is one giant Fleur de lis, pot holders, hot pads, dishtowels. When your casual wardrobe is 90% Saints shirts. When you have a giant fleur de lis decal on the back of your car. When you find yourself calling people "darlin". When you pay through the nose to get the NFL channel on cable so you can watch the Saints play. When you mow your law wearing a "rebuild New Orleans" t shirt. When you hang a huge flag outside your front door that says "rebirth Louisiana". When you exchange your wedding band of 42 years for another wedding band with a fleur de lis pattern, and all your earrings are fleur de lis. When people see you and start walking the other way because they are tired of you always talking about NOLA.......OK, better stop now :)