We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food tours

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Simons Island...
Level Contributor
180 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Food tours

I see a mention of a Cullinary Walking Tour which visits Antoine's. Are there others or is this the one to take? Will be on NOLA for Sunday - Wednesday in early November.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Food tours

Confederacy of Cruisers offers a culinary tour via bicycle. I have never taken it, but I have taken another type of tour with them and I loved it. I am planning on doing this culinary tour with them next time I am down. And I would think you would cover a wider range of restaurants/neighborhoods on bicycle rather than walking.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food tours

Here's a link to a NOLA culinary walking tour. Good luck.

http://www.noculinarytours.com/

Saint Simons Island...
Level Contributor
180 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food tours

While visiting New Orleans this week I went on the French Quarter Culinary History and Tasting Tour I asked about in this posting and cannot recommend it enough. Don't be scared away by the $46 price for the 3 hours tour. You will be eating such local specialties as seafood gumbo, shrimp remoulade, red beans and rice, turtle soup, muffulettas, pralines, and gelato at some of the most famous and historic restaurants in the quarter. Sally, our guide, not only led us through beautiful dining rooms and taste sensations, but also provided a great deal of French Quarter history. Reserve ahead at http://www.zerve.com/Culinary/Tour1030. Our group of 8 felt this was the highlight of our 3 days in New Orleans. I'll remember it for a long time due to the 5 pounds I gained on this trip!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food tours

paula...can you name the restaurants and dishes.....I'd even be interested in it....

los angeles
Level Contributor
778 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food tours

Thanks, paula. it sounds really fun.

Saint Simons Island...
Level Contributor
180 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food tours

Here are the restaurants and dishes I can remember. The website in the posting will give you more details.

Antoine's - gumbo

Arnouds - shrimp remoulade

Desirer - turtle soup

Tujaques - beef brisket

? - Muffaletto

? - pralines

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food tours

Maybe I can help a little...it's been at least two years since we took that tour but my memory, according to my DH, is "bound to be a sign of psychosis" :). We met at Hermes Bar and sampled gumbo and some type of shrimp appetizer....maybe remoulade but it didn't seem to be the same remoulade as we had last month on our trip. We were given a tour of Antoine's fourteen dining rooms as well as the kitchen...had some potatoes souffle from the cooks...yum. Next stop was Laura's Pralines.... we were given samples and a praline "to geaux". The standout here was the pecan brittle...just sayin'. (We bought some to take home.) Next was the Pirates's Alley Bar and had some rum cake...did not meet my expectations as far as cake goes. Then we went to La Divina Gelato and sampled their muffelina and some gelato...absolutely divine....so good we went back the next morning. Next was an abbreviated tour of Brennan's....just some of the dining areas and no food samples. Then we walked over to St. Ann's St. and stopped at Creole Delicacies and a wonderful lady enchanted us with her dialogue about how to cook red beans and rice and we sampled her wares...delicious! We ended at Tujaque's and our guide seated us in a dining area and taught us a bit of Tujaque's history and then we proceeded to the bar and sampled some brisket and Creole sauce. Our tour guide was George who was laid-back but knowledgeable and engaging....and a downpour occurred during the tour...didn't dampen the tour or our spirits. We did not go to Arnaud's or to Desirer (perhaps Desire?). Anyway, I highly recommend the tour if you are interested in New Orleans cuisine and history....the biggest drawback was the fact that we totally missed an evening dining opportunity....too stuffed!

8. Re: Food tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 06:16