We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

Hi,

Tried to call Royal Sonesta about using the Living Social deal on the nights of December 9th - 11th.

They tried to tell me that weekend is blacked-out because of the Sugar Bowl. But the Sugar Bowl is in January! Called back again and got some mumbled explanation about it being on the 31st, so the weekend of the 9th will be busy.

Obviously, nothing I was told makes sense, so I'm wondering if there is some other big event going on that weekend, and the reservations people are just confused about which event?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

The Sugar Bowl is around the 4th of January. I checked a few hotels and rates seem average. I can't find anything going on. The RS probably is trying to get out of the cheap rate deal. Good luck.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

Axle,

I'm inclined to agree with you. Their reasoning for blacking out that weekend doesn't make sense. I haven't actually bought the Living Social deal - I wanted to make sure that weekend was available before I did. Glad I held off . . .

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

Hubs and I will be down that weekend and found that many hotels are booked up on Saturday night and a few on Friday night as well. Prices were also considerably higher than I've paid in Dec for previous years. No home game for the Saints and I can't find an event that seems big enough to cause the room issue. I was told by one hotel person that there's a conference that weekend but who knows.

We would up booking the Hotel St. Marie, it was that or Prince Conti or Place D'Armes for the price point I was looking into. We paid the same rate for the Monteleone in September!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

Hey, Beachbum.

Glad it's not just me. What's odd is that the following weekend seems to have more availability.

I currently have Place D'Armes booked, but it's at about $185 a night for Friday and Saturday (Balcony & courtyard rooms). Still looking at Papa Noel rates - a few of the hotels nearby are still available for around $120-$130 a night.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

You can get a room at Iberville Suites including parking for $184.00 a night. It's a neat hotel inside the Ritz Carlton. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

http://www.ibervillesuites.com/

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

Thanks, Axle.

I do have Place D'Armes booked for $185 a night. I was just hoping to either upgrade for around the same price or find something comparable for less.

I did see that there is a large pharmacist's convention that weekend, maybe that's what is booking up some rooms.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

I find it hard to believe the Royal Sonesta would pull a fast one like that. I have gotten in on their bargain specials before and never encountered any resistance to them making good on it.

Sometimes it is merely the fact that the person you talked to on the phone was not knowledgeable rather than a conspiracy. Try asking for a manager. There are lots of conventions in NOLA and I am more inclined to believe it is either a sports event or a convention that is causing the high occupancy rate and hikes prices that weekend.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

I'm inclined to agree with axle, KC. Other than the manager, just about everyone I've EVER spoken to at the Sonesta has been a doorknob. (in which case, YOU may be right--they're just not the sharpest knives in the drawer!) Malcolm the doorman is the saving grace of the Sonesta staff.

Hope they appreciate him as much as the guests do, but I somehow doubt it...

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

I have stayed there more than a dozen times, including on special price deals. Never had any shady dealing from them. I am sure you could dial up most hotels and the person who answered could not quote the convention/event schedule. If you read further down the thread the OP learned there is a Pharmacist convention.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 00:05
Connecticut
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Something big going on weekend of December 9-11th?

We too are coming down that weekend (YAY!), dec 7th to 11th and found the same issue. Last year we were able to get a room at Bienville for well under a hundred, this year it was under a hundred wed/th but increased by sixty dollars per night on fri/sat... AND we thought we'd have *some* bargaining power since we have hotel room blocks there for our wedding in Feb. We ended up going with Hotel Provincial (who we also have room block with in Feb for wedding) b/c they worked with us on offerring the Papa Noel rates even though they were "sold out" of them online. I was unable to secure Papa Noel rates with any of the larger hotels for that weekend. Just my experiences, I figured something was going on that weekend also... Pharmacist convention + garden district holiday home tour weekend + last years pleasant weather that weekend... Maybe a combo of things