We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oysters in "R" months?

Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
523 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Oysters in "R" months?

I have heard that it is only safe to eat oysters in NOLA in months that contain the letter "R"..ie: Jan, Feb, March, April, Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec. Is this true? If it is, I am truly sad as I am going to NOLA for the first time in May ;-(

Do tell

Susie

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oysters in "R" months?

This is an old wives' tale from the days before refrigeration:

…about.com/od/…faqoysterseason.htm

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oysters in "R" months?

Alice has already provided information, which is quite correct, on the source of the "old wives Tale."

You should be aware, however, that there is potential danger in eating raw seafood, esecially oysters, for people with some chronic illnesses and/or immunocompromising conditions. Vibrio Vulnificus is a fast-moving and often deadly bacterial infection, which is sometimes found in gulf seafoods during the warmer months.

issc.org/client_resources/…VvFactSheet.pdf

Edited: 22 November 2011, 12:46
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,646 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oysters in "R" months?

alice and rod said it all.....i have them whenever i can get them...but you do see casamentos close down for june,july, and august.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oysters in "R" months?

We had some glorious plump salty ones at Casamento's Saturday night. Wish I had another dozen right now!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oysters in "R" months?

If you're not immuno-compromised, your chances of problems with raw oysters from VV are negligible.

If you are immuno-compromised, you should already know you don't have any business eating ANY raw or under-cooked seafood, regardless of the time of year. I work with a large number of immuno-compromised patients and we always educate them about this.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oysters in "R" months?

Funny...Casamento's is the first place I thought of when I saw this thread. I eat oysters year-round, but I like the fact that Casamento's sticks to its "we only want to serve 'em when they're at their best" policy and closes for the summer. Makes their re-opening in September kinda like Christmas...with oysters.

You can find oysters year-round at Luke (one of John Besh's restaurant) -- I think they still have a .25/oyster happy hour.

Other good oyster bars....Pascal's Manale, Acme, Felix's, Desire at the Royal Sonesta.

7. Re: Oysters in "R" months?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2012, 10:21