We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we need a car?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Will we need a car?

Hi!

Next year we're planning on visiting some relatives in Houston. I've always wanted to visit New Orleans, so I was thinking we could take a train and stay for a couple of nights as a side trip.

Is N.O. the kind of town that's walkable for the most part? Could we stay in a main tourist area and see the jazz clubs and maybe take a taxi or public transportation for any other sight seeing?

Thanks!

Car Noir
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
New Orleans Car Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will we need a car?

Actually, having a car in NOLA is kind of a pain. The streets are narrow and tricky, and overnight parking is costly. If you stay in the French Quarter, definitely forget about the car - you'll be within walking distance of almost everything and cabs are always available if you need one. Then, too, there's always the streetcar, which is fun to ride anyway.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will we need a car?

TOTALLY agree with ccolor. If you're only staying a couple nights and staying in the French Quarter, a car would be little more than a pain in the a$$. Google "French Quarter map" and you'll see how VERY walkable it is to everything you might do in two nights.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will we need a car?

Not only are there cabs but there are also Pedicabs! You won't have a problem walking...TOTALLY agree with Color and Herm!

los angeles
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will we need a car?

Take the train. no car. stay in the french quarter, everything you need to experience New Orleans is right there.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will we need a car?

A car is not necessary but it's convenient to have one. If you drive you can park your car at your hotel and use it to visit the plantations or other areas of NOLA such as Magazine Street or Uptown and the Garden District. I agree parking is expensive but if that's no problem to you I would drive. Amtrak has a train from CA to Houston and on to NOLA if you prefer. You can get around easily in NOLA by cab, bus or streetcar. Here's a link to maps of the FQ and NOLA. I would drive and stay in the FQ. Get a room at Le Marais, Monteleone, St. Marie, Place D Armes or Provincial. Enjoy your visit.

NOLA MAP........

http://www.mapneworleans.com/maps.html

neworleansonline.com/assets/…FQMap.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Amtrak
Amtrak
15 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will we need a car?

Taxis are cheap and plentiful. Parking is not only expensive it is hard to find and inconvienent. It only costs $8-$10 to taxi from FQ to the Garden District, or $1.25 on the streetcar. We have done it both ways and a rental car costs more than taxis, even without adding in parking cost. If you decide you really want one, can do a daily rental from Enterprise on Baronne and they will pick you up.

Mentioned in this post
Enterprise
Enterprise
Louisiana
Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will we need a car?

When we rent from Enterprise in Atlanta they not only pick you up, they'll also drop you back off, no charge. I assume it's like that everywhere, but have never used them in any other cities.

Anyway, since you're only going to be in NOLA for a couple days, you'll have enough to see in the city proper - save trips out of town for when you come back, as you probably will want to! Enjoy the city.

Mentioned in this post
Enterprise
Enterprise
Louisiana
Atlanta
Atlanta
Louisiana
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,992 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will we need a car?

I agree about skipping the car entirely for such a short trip. For a longer trip, it can be nice to have a car for a day trip or something, but otherwise you won't want one. And Enterprise is a great option when you want a car.

Mentioned in this post
Enterprise
Enterprise
Louisiana
California
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Will we need a car?

HI!

I'm the original poster, just accidently, somehow logged on under my husband's Facebook thing... somehow... LOL!

(I don't have FB myself)

ANYWAY!

Thank you all for you quick responses!

We may be able to stretch it to 3 nights, but from the replies I'm thinking no car. We rented a car in Boston when we were there and that was a big oops!! Had to get out every block just to get directions! :-P

The streetcar sound like fun actually, and well... I'll have some other questions in another thread! :-)

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will we need a car?

Feel free to ask away - we all love talking about NOLA and will be happy to pass along any info we have that might help.

P.S. Smart move nixing the car!