We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Humid weather question...

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Humid weather question...

And other weather questions...

HI folks!

Could you tell me the time or times of year where the humidity is low? Or lower? :-)

A friend of mine who visited there a while back said I might have some trouble with the muggy weather due to my asthma.

I'm already planning not to come in July or August, but does it start in like, April without letting up till November?

Hmmm...What's wintertime like in NOLA? Lots of rain? Ever snow? :-)

When is the hurricane season? Do you get any tornados? Curious...

Thanks!

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Humid weather question...

I've got asthma but have never had a problem with the humidity in NOLA, even during September which is still pretty durn humid. I use Advair every day and still walk all over the Quarter without any issues other than just plain being hot. Hurricane season is April to November in the south, but you can't stay away "just because" it might happen.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Humid weather question...

Snow is rare in New Orleans, but it can happen. We went to NO in December of 2008 and the day before we arrived there, it had snowed. But it melted by the time we got there and it was beautiful during our visit. I love visiting in December because of the Christmas decorations, good hotel rates, many things to do, etc. The weather in December can range from cold to perfect.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Humid weather question...

The hurricane season just ended today.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Humid weather question...

December and January are perfect months to visit NOLA. It's not as crowded and the weather is usually great. Enjoy your visit.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Humid weather question...

My daughter went in March, flowers and pollen, etc., and had no problems with her asthma. ccolor, she also uses Advair-call's it her miracle. Humidity is worst in July through September.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Humid weather question...

Official hurricane season is June 1st to November 30th and a big convention and tourist times are May and October due to the weather not being too hot or too humid...april is nice too for the french quarter festival and a part of the jazz festival.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Humid weather question...

For an easy to read overview of annual New Orleans weather, see:

www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp…

Click only the "Show Normals/Averages" box.

Another good historical weather resource can be found at:

http://www.cityrating.com/cityweather.asp?City=New+Orleans

You will note that the least humid and rainy times are late September though mid November, mid December, and mid February through mid May. To partially disagree with Axle, mid January through mid February can be pretty miserable (both cold and damp).

It rarely snows in NOLA, but it has, as jlr points out, in late December. Although "Atlantic Hurricane Season" is from June 1 through November 30, New Orleans has historically only been significantly affected by hurricanes between mid August and early October. New Orleans is brushed by a tropical storm, on the average, every 2.28 years, but directly hit (hurricane force winds for a few hours) only (bad choice or word) once every 17.38 years.

California
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Humid weather question...

Okay, it sound like a late October visit might be a good time.

Just in time for our wedding anniversery too! :-)

Do you get any fall colors in that area?

Thanks!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,255 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Humid weather question...

New Orleans is a great place to celebrate an anniversary - I definitely approve that plan :)

My husband and I spent our honeymoon there and then went back for our 5th anniversary. We have a trip planned for our 10 year anniversary in a few months.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Humid weather question...

NOLA will be a wonderful place to spend your anniversary. However, the fall colors (not that spectacular in the South) don't come into play until mid to late November. Be warned, because the weather is so good in October, New Orleans is very popular then, not only with tourists but also with conventioneers. Hotel rates can be pretty high and rooms can get scarce, particularly if there is a large convention and/or a Saints or Tulane game in town.