We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Magazine Street

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
How to get to Magazine Street

I'm going to New Orleans for the first time this weekend and I was wondering which is the best way to get to Magazine Street: to take the Magazine Street bus directly there or take the St. Charles streetcar and walk a bit. I've heard people saying that the streetcar has really nice views but is it worth taking it over the bus? Also, which part of Magazine has the best shops and are there any that I absolutely shouldn't miss?

Thanks!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Magazine Street

Take the St. Charles streetcar to Washington and walk two blocks to Commander’s Palace and enjoy their weekday $20.00 lunch special and 25 cent martini’s. After lunch walk 3 blocks to Magazine Street and visit the neat shops and stores in the 3,000 to 5,000 block area. You can take the Magazine Street bus back to the FQ or walk back to St. Charles and catch the streetcar. There are some great restaurants on Magazine also.

http://www.magazinestreet.com/

los angeles
Level Contributor
966 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Magazine Street

i also, recommend the bus. take it all the way to the end, then turn around , come back and get off at places you saw on the way up. it's about 6 miles.

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Magazine Street

I have used the Magazine Street Bus (board near The Sheraton on Canal Street) and like katieinla, I think it would be a good idea to take a look at places along the way and then you can choose where you'd like to spend some time. The shops between the 3000-5000 blocks are pretty saturated with possibilities....I highly recommend a visit to Sucre for some divine sweet treats, especially their macaroons. Axle's recommendation is good, too, if you want to do a fancy lunch prior to shopping.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Magazine Street

What exactly are you looking for? It's hard to suggest anything without knowing that.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Magazine Street

Axle said it best!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Magazine Street

Thanks for the replies!

@Alice Mostly things you can't get anywhere but New Orleans. Special Christmas gifts and the like.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Magazine Street

I was just there last week. You will LOVE Magazine St for those unique gifts that you can't get anywhere else. I even bought my son a vintage silk bow tie at the Antique Mall. Lots of great coffee bistros. Enjoy!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Magazine Street

I hope this isn't too late, Crayondisaster- the best concentration of unique shops on Magazine are in the Lower Garden District from about Felicity up to Jackson, then again farther uptown from about 7th up just past Napoleon. My favorites are actually on the stretch from Jefferson up to about State, though (especially the 5500-5600 blocks).

The Magazine Street bus runs pretty regularly, so you can just ride along and get off when you see something interesting. It sounds like you'd appreciate a stop at Hazelnut:

http://www.hazelnutneworleans.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Magazine Street

Hazelnut is awesome.

10. Re: How to get to Magazine Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2012, 10:15