We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to garden district from French quarter

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
470 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to garden district from French quarter

We were thinking of walking from our hotel in the fq tomorrow afternoon to the garden district and then take a cab back afterwards. Is it a safe area that we would be walking through? We want to see Lafayette cemetery and maybe some of the famous homes.

Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to garden district from French quarter

Take the St Charles streetcar to the end ( that way you can see more) and then take it back and exit at Washington. The driver will point you in the direction you want to go. The streetcar is only $1.25 each way and you can buy the $3 "jazzy pass" and have unlimited use of the streetcars and busses all day long! I think it's pretty safe for the most part, but I would be careful in the cemetery by yourself if your not meeting up for a tour.

Edited: 25 December 2011, 03:48
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
470 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to garden district from French quarter

Thanks!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to garden district from French quarter

There's no streetcar runnng and the cemetery is closed on Christmas. The walk in question is safe, but reevaluate the plan.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to garden district from French quarter

Checked the transit website...it doesn't say anything about the streetcars not running today. This is only my second christmas living here, so I could have missed something last year. Alice, do they not run on Christmas day?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
470 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to garden district from French quarter

I think we are gonna scrap this plan, anyways...I was actually wondering if the cemetery was even gonna be open. Thanks everyone!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to garden district from French quarter

Lafayette Cemetery is closed on Sunday's and Holidays. Does the bus run on Christmas? If so take the Magazine Street bus. I would not walk. The area between the WHD going under I 90 is not the best place to walk. Enjoy your trip.

http://lafayettecemetery.org/

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to garden district from French quarter

It's my first Christmas here, but I've had at least five people tell me the streetcar doesn't run on Christmas. They could be wrong, of course, but I'd still call a cab today.

Not sure about the buses, but I live just off Magazine and have yet to hear a bus go by. The streets are extremely quiet. I know the bars are supposed to be opening up after 4, though! I'm sure there will be plenty of business from people who've had a little too much holiday togetherness.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to garden district from French quarter

haven't heard any street cars today....

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to garden district from French quarter

so, what did you end up doing today?

10. Re: Walking to garden district from French quarter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2013, 10:19