We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this doable?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
Is this doable?

On Saturday, Feb. 11, I'd like to take the Lafayette No. 1 at 10:30 from Save Our Cemeteries. Their website says tours take about an hour. After that, I was thinking we could have lunch somewhere within walking distance then walk down to St. Charles to see the Krewe of Pontchartrain parade at 2. Would we be able to do this without feeling rushed? If so, any suggestions about good lunch places around there would appreciated. I know Commander's Palace is right there, but I think it's a little too upscale for us. We're pretty casual and like more hole-in-the-wall type places.

Mentioned in this post
Save Our Cemeteries
Save Our Cemeteries
1,269 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Commander's Palace
Commander's Palace
8,082 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Magic Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Flambeaux Bicycle Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this doable?

I think that's doable. If you like casual places, try Joey K's, Cafe Rani, Rum House or Reginelli's on Magazine Street for lunch before the parade. They would be right around the corner on Magazine from Washington but down a few blocks away from the Quarter. There are lots of shops in that stretch of Magazine too. Visit Sucre for dessert!

To pick up sandwiches to take to the parade, try The Grocery on St. Charles Ave. near Washington across from Christ Church..very good sandwiches. You can also dine in if you prefer.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
Louisiana
The Grocery
The Grocery
70 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this doable?

The Bulldog is a fun joint. You can dine outdoors. And Mahony's is down the street a few blocks. They have great po boy's.

http://bulldog.draftfreak.com/

http://mahonyspoboys.com/

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this doable?

My husband would love all the draft choices at The Bulldog. Would it be safe to walk from the cemetery to it?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this doable?

Yes, it will be safe.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this doable?

Okay, great. I think we'll either have lunch at The Bulldog or The Grocery. Will the seating at The Grocery be hard to come by since there's a parade?

Mentioned in this post
The Grocery
The Grocery
70 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this doable?

Really not sure; always depends on the crowd. Go early and you can always take it to go if crowded. It is usually very good and accomodating.

Enjoy though I know the Mardi Gras lite parade is very different from the normal ones...but still fun!!

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this doable?

I think these parades will be perfect for us. I did the weekend before Mardi Gras scene about 15 years ago, so I've experienced it once and that's plenty for me. My husband will be perfectly satisfied with this lite experience.

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this doable?

I believe that Pontchartrain is the only daytime parade on the Uptown route that day but there are two nighttime parades later beginning at 6 p.m. We love the nighttime ones the best so you may want to catch them too!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this doable?

We may do that. Our evening plans are pretty light. I don't want to wear us out too much by trying to cram too much in. If we feel up to it, we will look into it.

We are staying near the Canal/Carrollton streetcar stop. Would our bear bet be to drive to the cemetery that morning or could we ride the streetcar and get off anywhere near there? I've been trying to look at the norta website, but I'm still confused about the routes/stops.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this doable?

I would drive because I know my way around NOLA and I like to have a car handy. But you could easily take the streetcar on Canal and St. Charles. Or you could take the SC to Magazine and take the Magazine bus to Washington. Here's a link to Magazine Street shops and restaurants. Enjoy your trip.

http://www.magazinestreet.com/

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
Louisiana