We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety on the French quarter

O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Safety on the French quarter

I will be visiting new Orleans in feb and am staying in a hotel on bourbon and canal sts. I want to explore the French quarter but I will be by myself. Is it safe to walk on bourbon and surrounding streets alone?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety on the French quarter

Here we go again. Sorry abouot that Wendy. We just finished a thread a mile long about safety in NOLA. Trust me you will be fine. Enjoy your days and nights. Stay off the street late at night. Go home at a decent hour. Stay in crowds and don't get off on dark streets by yourself. There are a lot of punks around looking for a drunk tourist late at night. Enjoy your visit.

O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety on the French quarter

Thanks. I should have looked through the forums 1st because I just found one about crime and safety with lots of info. Oh well. The more info the better. Thanks again

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
561 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety on the French quarter

Hi Wendy,

I've visited NOLA 3 times by myself, no problems at all. Just follow the recommended advice in Axle's post. You reminded me that I need to write up my solo trip report for November. Pretty uneventful...just lots of FUN, GOOD EATING and DRINKING.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety on the French quarter

During daylight most all of the French Quarter is relatively safe and secure. Subject to customary urban prudence, I wouldn't worry about walking on Bourbon St. or on other active French Quarter streets between sunrise and 11:00 PM. After 11;00 PM, the vibe on Boubon St. between Canal St. and Bienville St. (some would say St. Louis St.) gets, for lack of a better word, territorial; nobody on this particular portion of Bourbon St. is likely to want to bother you, but they might want to bother each other. I usually use Royal St. to get back to Canal St. late at night, then use Canal St. between Royal St. and Bourbon St.

Edited: 05 January 2012, 00:39
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety on the French quarter

Thanks Crystal Sorrow. NOLA is no different from any large city in the U. S. There's crime in each. In NOLA it's usually in areas that tourist do not frequent. The FQ and Marigny are tourist areas and there's little crime and a lot of police presence. The CBD and WHD as well as the GD and Uptown are fine in the daytime. Rampart is a street on the N side of the FQ. Stay S of there and closer to the river along Decatur and Royal. If you are out late at night stay at a bar close to your hotel or better in your hotel. Stay with crowds. If you plan to be out late at night keep United's phone # in your cell. There's a lot of solo travelers in NOLA.

How are you getting to NOLA. If driving park your car and leave it for the trip home. Take a cab or the street car. Enjoy your trip.

UNITED CAB @ 1634 Euterpe Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 522 - 9771 or 504 - 524 - 9606.

.http://www.unitedcabs.com/

Edited: 05 January 2012, 00:40
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety on the French quarter

Mr. B's would be a good choice for solo dining. They have a 2 course prix fixe lunch for $20.00 and it's 2 blocks from Ritz. Domenica is a casual John Besh Italian restaurant in the Roosevelot Hotel a block from your hotel. They have happy hour specials from 3/6 half price pizza and drinks. Dining at the bar at Domenica is fun. Luke is another John Besh restaurant in the Hilton on St. Charles a few blocks from the FQ.. They have a 2 course express lunch for $15.00 and 3/6 Happy Hour half price drinks and 50 cent oysters. Dining at the bar at Luke is fun also. Antoine's is in the FQ. They have a prix fixe 3 course 30 minutelunch for $20.00 and would be nice for a solo diner.

Emeril's is one of my favorite NOLA restaurants. It's a 10 minute cab ride from the FQ. They have an 30 minute express lunch special that's around $19.50. August is another of John Besh's restaurants about 5/6 blocks from the FQ and they serve a lunch special also.

Mentioned in this post
Domenica
Domenica
1,865 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety on the French quarter

I'm a single gal who's been to NOLA 3 times by herself,last time was in October, and never had a problem. Just use common sense and be smart as you would be anywhere's. It'll be fine.

O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
4 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety on the French quarter

Thanks everyone. I agree all cities have crime areas including where I live. St. Louis. I don't plan on walking around late night anyway. Mainly during the day. I am going to a conference and will be limited time wise to explore the French quarter so I am trying to figure out the best places to see/ visit within walking distance to my hotel. Did not want to venture off too far and get lost. Can' t wait to visit! I think NOLA is a one of a kind.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety on the French quarter

I will have to agree with everything axle said. Sound advice. Please follow it!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety on the French quarter

Yes