We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip for mom's 60th...

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip for mom's 60th...

Hi everyone -

Red through the forums and got some great ideas on what to see/do in the city but feeling overwhelmed. I am taking my mom to NO for her 60th and am trying to plan out the trip. She has always wanted to go to see some sights and experience the food and culture. Any suggests on what to do and where to eat that would be part of a relaxing trip?

I am thinking of taking her in early April. Would things be fairly quiet during the time? She is not a big crowd person.

Thanks in advance for all your help! :)

Holly

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,777 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip for mom's 60th...

Actually, April is during "high" season (typically great weather). Festival, sporting event and convention dates include: 2 (NCAA Final 4), 12-15 (French Quarter Festival), 17-30 (conventions and Jazz Fest). Around the first full weekend (7th) looks quiet to me.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip for mom's 60th...

It depends on when in early April you're considering. French Quarter Fest is taking place April 12-15, and the city is sure to be crowded for that. I'm sure there are some other events I'm missing, as well:

nola.com/festivals/index.ssf/2011/03/louisia…

If your mother is looking for more of a peaceful environment than a festive atmosphere, check out the Columns Hotel on St. Charles uptown. It's well outside of the French Quarter festivities, but an easy streetcar ride away.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip for mom's 60th...

I would move the trip to May. Here's a link to events in NOLA. April is very busy. Stay in the FQ and dine at Galatoire's, Stella, Mr. B's, Bayona, Irene's or Muriel's. For casual dining go to Coop's, El Gato Negro, Napoleon House, Yo Mama's, Daisy Dukes or Red Gravy. Be sure to visit the Marigny next door to the FQ and go to the music clubs there.

Alabama
Level Contributor
415 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip for mom's 60th...

Don't you think May is getting into hot weather? I guess it depends on your tolerance level for heat.

Glad to hear a good word said for the Columns Hotel. DH has been trying to get me to stay here for the longest. Our trips our short (weekend) and I want to stay in the Quarter on short trips.

For a quieter place to stay in the Quarter, look on the "lower" side. Did I say that right? Places like Hotel Provincial. That's what I consider the quiet side of the Quarter.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip for mom's 60th...

Holly, let me suggest a festival that is rarely mentioned on this forum, that I think your mom would enjoy. The Spring Fiesta takes place on two weekends from March 23, 2012 until April 1, 2012. This is a very small, but charming festival that won't attract big crowds. Many of the French Quarter homes will be open for tours, and the New Orleans debutantes will have their 'coming out' events at Jackson Square (first weekend I think). It is beautiful to see, the young ladies will be wearing beautiful dresses and the young men will be very elegantly dressed. It is definitely a blast from the past but obviously a New Orleans tradition that is still very much alive. We took our in-laws on that weekend 10 years ago, and they loved it. There won't be huge crowds for this festival but it will still provide you with some things going on to do that you can only do a few times during the year (tour of homes, etc). The website is springfiesta.com

Have fun on your trip - what a great daughter you are to plan such a fun event for your mom's birthday!

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip for mom's 60th...

That sounds like so much fun, jlr51 - What a great time to see New Orleans!!

Hmmmm, I was thinking about how an older person would react to NOLA and it struck me that probably in September I'll be there to celebrate MY 60th birthday. Where the h*ll did those years go and when did 60 become elderly anyway?!?!? Sheesh........

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip for mom's 60th...

We usually go to NOLA in May and sometimes it is boiling hot and other times beautiful. It's really hard to say. Last time we went the first few days were really hot and then the heat and humidity cleared right out and the rest of the visit was gorgeous! If it's hot there are always tons of places you can pop in to cool off and have a drink.

I agree that the Hotel Provincial is in the lower end of the Quarter. I adore that area because there are soooooooo many good places to eat and drink and sleeping at night is peaceful--especially in that comfy bed!

Color--You definitely AIN'T old! XOXOXO

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip for mom's 60th...

Easter weekend would be a great choice. It's not very crowded then. The weather will be nice with no humidity. There are fun parades on Easter Sunday. Take your Mom to Commander's Palace for lunch one day.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip for mom's 60th...

Sorry for the delayed response - but I really want to thank everyone for all the great recommendations! I can't wait to take her...she has always wanted to go and these tips will help make the trip even better! Thanks again!

10. Re: Trip for mom's 60th...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2012, 23:05