We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canine couture for Barkus doggies

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
canine couture for Barkus doggies

True story: Friend of mine pulls up to a stop light Uptown. She has her dog in the car with her. Lady in the next car (total stranger) sees the dog, rolls down her window and yells at her "Chi-Wa-Wa Gaga got outfits if he's gonna be in the parade. They're cute!", then drives away when the light changes. So, since we have a chihuahua now and may do the parade, has anyone been to Chi-Wa-Wa Gaga? I googled it and it says it's in the French Market. We haven't marched in Barkus in a while (our other "big dog" pooch has too many neuroses to do parades, lol) and it is such a riot I thought I'd research the issue a bit.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: canine couture for Barkus doggies

Chi-Wa-Wa Gaga is a favorite stop of mine. They have some of the cutest little dog outfits, costumes, and everyday collars. My tiny Papillon sports their fleur de lis collar, leash, and harness. I haven't been in there in a year or so, but there used to be a resident Yorkie dressed to the nines who greeted everyone.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canine couture for Barkus doggies

That's such a New Orleans story! Where else would a stranger in the next car offer unsolicited advice on where to buy doggie costumes?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canine couture for Barkus doggies

So Highway what is your baby going to wear? TOOOOOO bad we didn't see Barkus when we were there! You have to let us know what a wonderful time you two had!!!!!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,033 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canine couture for Barkus doggies

Chiwawa Gaga, a small store for dinky dogs, moved from French Market Pl. to 511 Dumaine St., between Decatur St. and Royal St. It's right next door to the relatively NEW location for Pet Asylum (was previously across the street) which is mentioned frequently by Denny and Herm, and down the block from Harry's Corner. These two shops are on our regular New Orleans circuit (gifts for the guys back home).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: canine couture for Barkus doggies

Oh I know exactly where the store is now! We must have been by there LOTS of times because we always do go to Pet Asylum and buy stuff to bring home for our baby Tabatha! It is a fun store from what I've seen through the windows!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: canine couture for Barkus doggies

When is Barkus? My son would love to see this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: canine couture for Barkus doggies

Etude--It will be February 12 this year! Let us know how much fun your son had if he goes : )

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: canine couture for Barkus doggies

I will. He wants to adopt a little dachshund so badly. I suggested that he be a volunteer walker or foster "parent." ;)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: canine couture for Barkus doggies

Thanks for the feedback on the store. Dau. and I are gonna check it out this weekend. Unless I become particularly inspired, I will probably leave the parading to DD (I'm a big dog guy ya know). I've ridden/marched in a fair share of parades in my day, but I do have to say that Barkus is just way fun to participate in. You just have to watch where you're walking and wear shoes you can afford to lose! Definitely worth checking out if you've never seen it.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 00:39
Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: canine couture for Barkus doggies

It's on the bucket list, highway! Yes, we've been to the store, but it's a small doggie store, and our baby is a rottweiler, so she wouldn't fit in anything they sell!

etude, Pet Asylum next door does animal rescue and adoptions. Tell your son to check with them. Brenda and Sharon are AMAZING people with the work they do!