We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurray!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Hurray!

We finalized lodging and plane reserv. yesterday for a 6 night Nola stay in Mar., following a 3 day reunion in Slidell of my husband and 3 old Air Force buddies who haven't all been together since 1975.....also in Nola.

When we very recently decided to extend our stay to include a week in the city, where we haven't been since Jazz Fest many years ago (despite visits to friends in Metaire & Slidell) I hadn't realized how difficult lodging would be with so many places either booked or well beyond our $200 pr. night budget. Even after scouring the VRBO's for availability I only had one reply from the numerous properties I emailed, which I immediately took, despite having to settle for 6 nights rather than 7 so now the real fun of planning begins.

The list already requires 6 mos., not 6 days; Tipitina, Snug Harbor (where we partied the nights away years ago, after long days at the Fairgrounds....much younger then) walking, Spotted Cat, Rock n' Bowl, as much oysters, shrimp, po boys as we can consume without exploding, more walking, Pimms Cup, Sidecar, beignets, breakfasts at Brenans, oysters in brie & lemon box cake at Clancy's, lunch at Commanders Palace, carriage ride, Jackson Square, walking, Garden District Tour (where we're staying) St. Charles streetcar, ferry to Algiers Point, walking, riverfront, French Market......how many miles will it take to work off 6 meals a day?

So much music, food, architecture, interesting people and great fun....

So little time.

If I stay off TA my list won't continue to grow, but all the suggestions and reports here are addictive.

"Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Randi

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurray!

I think you will have a great time. Clancy's is one of my favorites. Where are you staying.Enjoy your visit.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurray!

You might want to be aware of the fact that house/apartment rentals of less than 30 days (60 days in the French Quarter) are illegal in the city of New Orleans. If your rental doesn't appear on this list, you're not supposed to be there:

nola.gov/en/…

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurray!

Well, that's interesting and no, I would not have been aware of that. We've used the VRBO website for years, for popular tourist destinations around the country, including large cities and that question has never come up. Most have been arranged directly with the property owner, but in the case of New Orleans it was all done through a property management company with detailed rental docs, authorization, etc. Perhaps that explains the issue that you raised.

I just went back to VRBO and read their entire closing paragraphs regarding New Orleans to see if there were any alerts or disclaimers and didn't find anything. The last paragraph reads; "Explore New Orleans from vacation rentals offered by owner-choose from vacation apartments, historic homes and more."

It's also odd that there are so many "Vacation Rental By Owner" listings in all of the New Orleans city neighborhoods, with guest reviews going back years, which would make one wonder if they've received license to operate that way or pay a fee to fall under the umbrella of one of the companies listed on the website you provided? With so many that are well established, including very high end properties, it doesn't seem realistic that they would risk conducting business illegally, with the city looking the other way. As an out of state tourist I'm not in a position to have any information or experience with their government ordinances. I will raise the question with the leasing company.

Thanks,

Randi

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurray!

<<it doesn't seem realistic that they would risk conducting business illegally>>

However, they do. See nola.gov/VISITORS/…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurray!

"With so many that are well established, including very high end properties, it doesn't seem realistic that they would risk conducting business illegally, with the city looking the other way."

The quality of the property doesn't matter- its legality does. Short-term vacation rentals are banned in many major cities throughout the world, but that doesn't stop companies like VRBO from ignoring local ordinances and exploiting local residents. As such, the onus is on the tourist to research the local laws of any city he or she plans to visit. When I lived in NYC, I saw the fire department force tourists out of an illegal rental and onto the street, so the city doesn't always "look the other way."

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurray!

Yikes.........

I certainly didn't intend to give the impression that I was ignoring well known rules of the road when booking a VRBO or accusing the city of New Orleans of doing anything illegal. That part of it is new to me, as I indicated in my first response to AlicePalace.

I was simply speculating about the number and reason of VRBO listings in the city limits that apparently have been allowed to operate for a long time....just wondering out loud, not justifying or accusing. From the vehement responses here, it may be a sensitive issue in many cities. I have emailed the question to the property management company and will follow through.

Just as it has never occurred to me to ask a hotel, motel, cruise ship, youth hostel, room rented from a lovely couple in Amsterdam, campground, RV park, condo rental....over the past 45 yrs, in many states and countries....... for proof of license to operate, the same has been true of VRBO. I've now been educated, properly scolded and know to ask the question.

If the place we've reserved can't offer proof of license to operate legally they'll have to refund our deposit and we'll plan New Orleans for another time when we can book further in advance with better hotel availability and rates. This was a late hour inspiration to our Slidell visit, but our enthusiasm can be put on ice for a different year in which other trips aren't already etched in stone, as they are for 2012.

Again, thanks for the heads up and no need to worry that we'll violate the integrity of the New Orleans hospitality code. We're old, boring, law abiding citizens whose waistlines and pocketbooks can afford a postponement in all those fabulous New Orleans restaurants.

Randi

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurray!

NYC may force tourists out onto the street but that has not happened in New Orleans.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 00:59
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurray!

I'm sure it hasn't, but I just wanted to make the point that cities don't always look the other way when it comes to enforcing rental laws. While no tourists may have been put out on the street like they are in other places, NOLA is cracking down on the problem:

nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/09/mitch_la…

In any case, I'm glad that RandiRA is taking the appropriate steps to rectify the situation. If he/she posts the dates they'd like to visit, I'd be happy to help find something both legal and within budget.

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurray!

AlicePalace,

Thanks again for your concerns raised in response to my enthusiastic post of our upcoming NO visit, however, considering the subject, they would probably be more appropriately and effectively raised at a city council meeting where the local officials who created, are familiar with and in a position to enforce the ordinances, can address them.

In closing and in defense of tourists, I would like to respond to a statement that you made that I take issue with; "The onus is on the tourist to research the laws of the city they are visiting."

As a well behaved (boring actually) law abiding citizen I've never knowingly violated any laws, customs, habits or requirements of the places I vacation, in the US and around the world.

Like most folks, I do research the amenities, culture and history of my destination to determine how my dollars and time will be best spent. That is done through visitor websites such as NOTS, travel sites & forums, VRBO (a well established, fully transparent, national rental site where I found our NO booking) guide books, advice of 70 yr. old resident natives, friends who have been attending Jazz Fest for decades and my own previous visits. None of those sources indicated that I should go to the administrative government archives of the city to determine current licenses to operate a business, which would apply to all, not just lodging.

If Pirate Jack and Brown Sugar are still there I can see the expression if I demand proof of license to operate, prior to boarding the carriage for a FQ tour.

I realize that's an exaggerated example, but in making dining, tour and music reservations, through what I assume are legitimate sources, would I not have reason to believe that listed NO lodging on VRBO is also kosher?

Again, an issue for the city council. The onus is on them.

Thank-you for your offer to arrange other lodging for us, but I'll decline. You've done enough already and based on what you've told me I'd then have to research and verify your license to operate as a travel agent.

Sincerely,

Randi

A 62 yr. old, law abiding female (and husband) who are eagerly anticipating their Nola visit.

Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurray!

Another recent article can be found at

nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/03/critics_…

Edited: 01 February 2012, 17:56