We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown v FQ

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown v FQ

Coming to NOLA for 4/5 days in September. I am being offered better value for lodging Downtown than the French Quarter. Is it convenient to stay downtown even though each evening will be spent in the FQ.

Lucy

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown v FQ

Lucy, if you're within a couple blocks, it's no big deal probably...but again, I'm all about the confort and convenience when I'm on vacation, and I'd always choose something closer to my "hang outs" than farther away. At what location are you getting better value? (street-wise).

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown v FQ

It depends what you mean by "downtown". If you mean the Canal St. area between the river and Burgundy, then you will be on the edge of the Quarter and within easy,safe walking distance of everything. If you mean in the Central Business District, then it will depend on which hotel and if you don't mind walking some. Which hotel/s are you considering?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,646 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown v FQ

You will find the convenience of being in the French Quarter is well worth the difference in price but it depends upon as others indicated where that hotel is...downtown can mean a lot of different things.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown v FQ

I'd pick the Quarter hands down Lucy!

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown v FQ

I usually stay on Canal Street or in the CBD to get the better rates. It is a short walk to anywhere you want to go.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,935 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown v FQ

Strictly speaking, in New Orleans "downtown" and "Central Business District" mean two different areas, although some, including some hotels, refer to the Central Business District as being "downtown". It's hard to give you a straight answer without knowing where the specific "downtown" hotel location is, and where you plan to spend evenings in the French Quarter. GENERALLY speaking, those Central Business District locations between Carondelet St. and Magazine St., or fronting on those streets, AND LESS than three blocks from Canal St., are relatively convenient though not particularly ideal lodging locations.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown v FQ

I think this is difficult to answer without knowing the specific properties you're asking about.

Keeping in mind staying "downtown" versus "the quarter" can mean just walking across the street depending on what place(s) you have in mind.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown v FQ

For clarity I think it important to use terms as they are used locally. In NO, downtown means down river. So downtown from the Quarter you find the 7th, 8th and 9th wards. The poster is not considering staying there. The Central Business District (CBD) is uptown from the Quarter. The blocks are fairly short, so hotels in the CBD are just as convenient. Choose based on the type of lodging you like at the price point you want to pay.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown v FQ

We usually choose to stay in the Quarter if $$ allows; I definitely find it worth a little extra cash for the convenience and more interesting vibe. We usually do a guest house to make it more affordable. We just had a great stay at The Biscuit Palace (very affordable) and we plan to stay at the Royal Barracks Guest House over Labor Day weekend. We've also liked the Bourgoyne House.

However, if the hotel that is not IN the Quarter is on or near Canal your walk won't be too bad.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown v FQ

Thank you everyone for your comments will probably stay in the CBD as close as possible to canal street.