We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

Hi I am planning to come to the US in August. Arriving 12th and leaving 23rd. Below was a rough itinerary I had in mind.

Memphis - 3 nights, but only 2 days as arrive late on the first day.

Hire car and drive from Memphis to New Orleans.

New Orleans - 3 nights

Flight from New Orleans to Miami

Miami - 5 nights

Would anyone be able to advise if they believe this would be a reasonable split in order to have enough time to see and do the main things in New Orleans, etc? Would you recommend more/less time in any location?

Thanks, Brian

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

Suggest less time in Memphis and more in New Orleans - Major Memphis sites like the King assassination site/civil rights museum and Graceland can be covered in one day, then I'd head straight south to our fav city, New Orleans!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

Total agreement! More time in New Orleans! Once you get there you'll see what we mean. You will NEVER find a more interesting, unique, fantastic city than New Orleans!

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

Third the Deny & Jimjade. Take a night off Memphis and add it to New Orleans. Way more to do in New Orleans. You will love it here.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

I wouldn't do 5 nights in Miami either...I'd take two of those nights and add to New Orleans too! But that's just my humble opinion!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

I've never been to Memphis or Miami but I would somehow spend at least 4 nights in NOLA, maybe even 5 depending on how much you like funkiness, awesome food, the bar scene and a city with a great vibe and a lot of character. Miami seems much more pretentious and showy but I do love parts of Florida, it is GORGEOUS. Memphis is not on my short list but I would say the site of the King assassination is a (sad) must-see. Personally, I would fly straight to New Orleans and spend about 5 nights, then fly to somewhere in Florida either on the Panhandle (like Destin), the Keys, or somewhere on the gulf side like Siesta Key and do another 4 or 5 nights.

NJ
Level Contributor
715 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

I would do 5 days in New Orleans and 3 in Miami. Don't know much about Memphis.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

Hi thanks for all the quick replies, it really is greatly appreciated, especially when visiting somewhere for the first time. Based on what you have said, I am going to reduce Miami to 4 nights and increase New Orleans to 4 nights. I'll stick with 3 in Memphis as it is only really 2 days due to the fact I don't arrive until after 8pm on the first day.

The reason I was going to choose Miami is because I can get an early direct cheap flight from New Orleans to there. If anyone has more knowledge about direct flights from New Orleans then I would be happy to listen to those suggestions.

Thanks, Brian

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

Try Southwest airlines from NO to Miami

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

I would skip Miami. It's too big and too busy. Fly to Nashville, TN and rent a car. Stay two nights and drive to Memphis. It's a short drive. Stay one night and drive S through the Mississippi Delta. Spend a night in Clarksdale home of the blues. Drive S to Vicksburg and visit the National Military Park and have lunch. Visit historic Natchez for one night and drive to NOLA for 3 nights and drive back to Nashville. Turn your car in and fly home. Enjoy your visit.

VISIT THE DELTA..........

http://www.visitthedelta.com/

Glasgow
Level Contributor
291 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time to spend in New Oreleans / others

Hi thanks for the info and I will look into your suggestions. The reason I chose Miami was twofold. 1. direct flight from New Orleans but the main reason 2. somewhere to relax on the beach for a few days after doing a lot of tourist stuff, etc.