We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 2 - Even better!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
Day 2 - Even better!

We got up early this morning and were the first guests to enjoy a great breakfast at the O'Malley House. After some pleasant conversation with our hosts, we headed out to have our first streetcar experience. We were trying to get to the St. Charles line, but we accidentally ended up riding down to the City Park stop after we got on at Canal and Carrollton because we got on the wrong car. No worries, though, we had plenty of time to ride back down and then change cars at St. Charles. Even at 9:30 a.m., the St. Charles line was packed.

We got off at our stop and walked down to Lafayette No. 1 where we met our guide from Save Our Cemeteries. There were just 6 other people on the tour, and our guide was very good. We enjoyed the tour immensely. After that, we headed down to Magazine and ate lunch at Joey K's. My husband had the roast pork loin, and I had the red beans and rice. We both liked our meals very much. He had the special dessert of the day, coconut fried bread pudding. I'm not a coconut fan, but even I thought it was wonderful.

We still had some time before the parade, so we went to The Bulldog and enjoyed a couple of beers. We finished just in time to walk up to St. Charles as the parade was starting. We caught lots of throws, even a few stuffed animals that our kids will love. The atmosphere in that part of town was just as family-friendly as I remembered it from my previous parade experience in the mid-90s.

We ended up getting a cab back to O'Malley's, and after a little nap and downloading of pictures, we went to dinner at Parkway. My husband had the roast beef po boy and I had the fried shrimp one. They were both very good. We loved the atmosphere of Parkway, but not the challenge of finding a parking spot.

We came back for awhile before heading out for some more fun. We ended up riding the streetcar to Holy Ground Irish Pub on Canal. It was a bit blah on atmosphere, though. It seemed to be more of a place for regulars who just want to drink and nothing else. We stayed for a couple of beers and then rode back to our stop. It's so cold here, that we both felt we could use a warmup, so we headed to Doson's Noodle House for some takeout pho. It was just the thing to heat us up from this crazy weather.

Now we're in for the night and looking forward to our day in the Quarter tomorrow, even though it's going to be cold again. However, I'm hoping my "Drink Around the Quarter" plan will help keep me warm. I've amended my plans to include a Pimm's Cup, Ramos gin fizz, brandy milk punch from Mr. B's, original margarita and possibly a pineapple cilantro margarita from El Gato and maybe a daiquiri or two. Wish me luck!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 2 - Even better!

"coconut fried bread pudding" ... I don't think I could really comprehend anything I read after that, my brain has just looped around this one part. So, other than being good, what was it like? More detailed description, please. :)

Good to hear you're having fun. :)

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 2 - Even better!

I can just picture Rodent reading along and "SCREEEEECH"! Dead halt as she read about the bread pudding!!! I'm betting she wrote the place down to check out in May, didn't you, Rodent honey?!?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 2 - Even better!

If you think "Day #2" was great, just wait until "Day #3"!

And it only gets better from there on!!!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,354 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 2 - Even better!

Sounds like a great day. As for keeping warm Sunday, I'm sure the drinking around the Quarter plan will do the trick. :)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 2 - Even better!

It was pretty cold for the parades last night. We ended up having raclette, crab and corn chowder and Glühwein (a German holiday mulled wine) to warm our crowd up.

Tracy if you like pho, it's even better at Cafe Minh. He cooks great seafood too. It's my favorite lunch place but they do dinner too. On Canal, one block on the lake side of Carrollton. You may also like to try dining at Redemption. It's in the old church behind Schoen's funeral home. I've had pretty good luck there recently with the new chef.

Have a great trip. Things'll warm up after today.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 13:39
Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 2 - Even better!

Thanks. Unfortunately, we leave tomorrow around noon, so we're just catching the cold weather. It's still been a great time even with the chilly temps.

Rodent, I knew you'd be intrigued by the bread pudding. Basically what I think they did was take a piece of their regular bread pudding, dip it in a batter, dredge it in coconut and deep fry it. Then it had a very tasty vanilla sauce over it. I think it was a special, but if you get a chance, you should definitely try it since you're a bread pudding aficionado!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 2 - Even better!

Thanks for your TR Tracey. I like Parkway myself. And I love a good fried shrimp po boy. Enjoy your visit and have a safe trip home.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,632 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 2 - Even better!

Sounds like you had a fun day and even enjoyed the parade! What fun that is! I really enjoyed the one Mardi Gras I went to and one day I WILL do another one! I am not a fan of bread pudding at all...but even THAT sounded good to me. Then again I love coconut! Hope you enjoy your drinks around the Quarter! Sounds like you've got some good drinks lined up! Wish I could join you on that one! Have a great day and a safe trip back home!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 2 - Even better!

thanks for sharing day two! We caught lots of cute little stuffed animals at the parade as well. I kept one for our dog (who DOESN'T chew them up--just plays with them!) and the rest I passed over to kids who weren't catching much! Hope your "drink around the Quarter" goes as planned! It should help to make you feel warm for awhile!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 2 - Even better!

Stop one - El Gato Negro was a success. Had the original and pineapple. Liked the pineapple better. Hubby had the original and seasonal blueberry. It was great also.