We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal Street Question

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
837 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Canal Street Question

I have been using google maps to get an idea of walking distance from my hotel (Doubletree) to various locations. What is the deal with Canal Street? The directions send me away from the hotel and then make a u-turn to get to the other side of Canal. On the map it actually shows two Canal Streets running parallel. Is Canal a very busy road that is difficult to cross...the map appears that way? I checked out the CVS on Canal, which is on our side but it still has me walking away from it, making a U-turn and then a second U-turn. Very confusing.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canal Street Question

I'm guessing that you're using driving directions instead of walking directions. It is not hard to cross Canal Street.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
837 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canal Street Question

Oh my...nevermind my post! Thanks Alice...I was using driving directions! That made a huge difference!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canal Street Question

I've done THAT before, Kris! Sometimes, I forget to click the little walking figure, look at the map and go "Huh?" THEN I figure it out! LOL!

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Canal Street Question

Canal is wide but otherwise no different from any other two-way street.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canal Street Question

Also, Canal Street on a map looks like "two Canal Streets running parallel" because the street is divided down the center by a median strip (known in New Orleans as the "neutral ground").

Edited: 13 February 2012, 05:58
6. Re: Canal Street Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 21:14