We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zydeco Music

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Zydeco Music

Where can I go to hear Zydeco in the French Quarter? The only place I know of is the Bowling Alley and I won't have a car so don't feel like venturing out there. I am staying in the French Quarter. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zydeco Music

Dwayne Dopsie and his band are awsome. They play at the Krazy Korner on Bourbon from Thursday to Sunday when they are in town. Thursday, they start at 2pm, 12noon during the week-end.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zydeco Music

Porelly to the rescue. I know nothing about music in NOLA. I'm hard of hearing and loud music disagrees with me. I do like some Jeremy Davenport jazz at the Ritz Carlton. And I know they have some outstanding Zydeco in Breaux Bridge at Cafe Des Amis.

http://www.cafedesamis.com/

Breaux Bridge...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zydeco Music

Yes, the bowling alley, Rock'n'Bowl, is a big cab ride out of the Quarter. They have great zydeco music most every Thursday night. This Thursday, for example, it's Geno Delafose. You can't get any better than Geno.

Check the Offbeat listings. They do tend to list some Cajun bands as zydeco, perhaps on the assumption that visitors confuse the two anyway. Brandon Moreau, Can't Hardly Playboys, and the Cajun Drifters are all Cajun bands. I highly recommend the Drifters at the Tropical Isle several times a week. Brandon Moreau is good too, though I have only heard him, not his band. They will also do zydeco numbers.

The best Cajun band in New Orleans is the Bruce Daigrepont Cajun Band. They play at Tipitina's on Napoleon most every Sunday (with exceptions for things like the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras). Disclaimer: personal connection with band.

Hope this helps!

Breaux Bridge...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zydeco Music

The Offbeat listings: www.offbeat.com/club-events/2012/02/26/. Once there, you can fiddle with the date.

I see I forgot all the Mulate's listings. I am not wild about the food but the musicians are great. I can personally recommend Bayou Deville and Lee Benoit. Both of those bands are Cajun, with the occasional fun song in English.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zydeco Music

The best place to hear Zydeco is the Whiskey River Landing bar in Henderson, near Breaux Bridge. Just been on Friday night, when it is empty and simply amazing music. Three solid hours, compared to stop and start at Mulattes the previous night.

Breaux Bridge...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zydeco Music

You are so right, athenastrutt7, but I hesitated to mention that since the OP didn't want to leave the Quarter! But anyone who wants to see zydeco music, feel it, dance to it... Come to southwest Louisiana. Whiskey River, Café des Amis, Opelousas, dance halls, festivals, trail rides.... Come on over.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zydeco Music

LIsbette, do you know if Whiskey River Bar has zydeco bands playing on Thursday nights. We will be stopping there (Henderson) on our way down for the May Flockfest.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zydeco Music

like axle, I have damage on my right inner ear, and loud music makes me crazy. There are stores I wont even enter due to the volumne of their sound systems! I can do a night at Funky Pirate (well, not 4 hours, but...) and I definitely want to hear Dopsie with porelly and bcla (among others) but that will be my "fill" for live music!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
107 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zydeco Music

I just got back from NOLA and our friends dragged us to the Rock and Bowl for some Zydeco Music on thursday night. At first, I was like were going to a F'ing Bowling Alley??!!! But honestly, It was pretty cool and worth it. Cab Ride was only 10 bucks. It's ok to leave the French Quarter :-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Zydeco Music

Yorkie - Go to the Old Opera House on Bourbon Street to watch the Bonoffs. They're a really fun band and the crowd gets really into the show at times. No cover (at least last time I was there). Here are their new hours:

friday saturday sunday 1 to 8pm, monday and tuesday 7pm til close.

Enjoy!