We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking?

We are non-smokers. At the same time, I understand the rather libertarian and libertine aspects of the French Quarter "culture". Still, we would rather not spend our time in smoke-filled rooms. We don't drink either, so that will solve the problem with the bars.

Still, I am somewhat concerned about the restaurants. For instance, we were considering Coop's Place, but I have to wonder, since it also serves drinks, whether it would be that "smoke-filled room" that we would like to avoid. I am assuming that the higher end restaurants have no smoking, but what about the smaller places?

And are there any jazz or other musical venues that have a no-smoking policy?

Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
719 reviews
from US$176.00*
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
951 reviews
from US$48.00*
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
132 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
New Orleans Ghost, Voodoo, and...
457 reviews
from US$14.99*
US$26.50
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,139 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking?

Restaurants are non-smoking, have been for several years now. There are a few places, like Coops, that are more described as "bars that serve food" and they are still permitted to allow smoking. (I don't care for Coops personally, so I don't know if it is non-smoking or not. I thought I had read it was non-smoking)

So you will have no trouble enjoying your meals smoke-free.

There are more than a couple of places where you can hear music in a non-smoking atmosphere.

www.letsbetotallyclear.org/smoke-free-venues

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking?

I wouldn't worry to much about the smoking issue. I don't smoke, and since you can't smoke anywhere's in public in Canada, I'm really not used to it anymore. I had concerns on my 1st trip to NO, but there's nothing to worry about. Even in the bars, they have such high powered fans and air systems that unless you are sitting next to someone who's smoking, you won't notice it at all.

The only place it bothered me a bit were at a couple of bars on Frenchman St. They didn't appear to have those big air systems.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking?

Coop's is smoke free. Here's a link to smoke free places in NOLA.

SMOKE FREE...............

http://www.letsbetotallyclear.org/

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking?

I am a smoker and even if they did allow smoking in restaurants I wouldn't do it! I ate at Coops once and we didn't smoke in there so I'm assuming it's non-smoking.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking?

The last couple times I passed Coops, it had a distinct and "dirty" smell I'd never noticed on my previous trips...and it wasn't smoke, it just smelled...dirty...I don't know how else to describe it.

I am a smoker, and I smoke in open air venues like Pat O'Brien's, but also as a Canadian who pretty much isn't allowed to smoke ANYWHERE in Canada except locked in my room under my covers (and since I DON'T smoke in my house...that's out too! lol!) it's never really an issue here. There are lots of places that are non smoking (you've got some good links) and you should enjoy yourself without much worry! Granted, you will always find some a$$ who wants to blow smoke at you, but just move. It's not worth a fight with someone who has bigger problems than smoking!

6. Re: Smoking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 10:26