We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to visit -- May or October?

Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
When to visit -- May or October?

My wife and I are thinking of a long weekend in New Orleans. We'd prefer to avoid the crowds but do enjoy the warmer weather as we're Canadians. We have no kids so we can go when it is convenient so we're thinking of either early-to-mid May or early-to-mid October? Any thoughts / preferences?

Thanks.

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to visit -- May or October?

I think I'd go for May - the weather is great in both months, but you can really enjoy the spring warmth after a cold Canadian winter. Besides, October is a big convention month so sometimes it's hard to get reservations and costly when you can get them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to visit -- May or October?

And I'd choose October, which may be a few degrees cooler than May, but that isn't saying much. New Orleans doesn't start cooling down in earnest until late November.

May is hot (and muggy), and October is plenty warm!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,631 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to visit -- May or October?

Devotedguy--I have been in both May and October and I have loved the weather in both months! For good and warm I would say May is warmer, but the weather is great in both months! Either month you can't go wrong with in my opinion!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to visit -- May or October?

I was there in October last year, and the weather was fabulous! Warm, some days even hot, and sunny every day. But as everybody said, either month would be fine. May can be a bit dreary for us depending if it's a rainy spring or not, so May might be a good idea.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to visit -- May or October?

Both are fine but you might find less people in May, perhaps, since October is a huge convention month...just look out for Flok Fest 2012 if you go in May.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to visit -- May or October?

I second Cajun Yank. October is a busy month but I have never had a bad time in NOLa regardless fo the month. I personally like October because I feel fall arriving. But it is a busy month. If you come in October plan your trip when the Saints are playing out of town.

Fairfield Ohio
Level Contributor
183 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to visit -- May or October?

I vote May.... only because Oct. is farther away :) You will have a wonderful trip no matter when you go!

Toronto,Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to visit -- May or October?

I know i am planning a trip for May and i cant wait.

Still waiting to firm up dates- which sucks because i cant start an official countdown until i know the day i am leaving!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,439 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to visit -- May or October?

The best NOLA weather is October, and mid April to mid May. This also makes for more activity and the associated crowds and high lodging costs. If you want to avoid crowds and/or the associated high lodging costs, consider avoiding the following events:

American College of Physicians/April 17-21

American Academy of Neurology /April 21-28

Oncology Nursing Society/May 3-6

New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival Presented by Shell/April 27-May 6

Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association/May 7-9

Tulane COMMENCEMENT May 19

Water Environment Federation/Sept. 29-Oct. 3

International Auto Body Congress and Expo/Oct. 10-13

Society for Neuroscience/Oct. 13-17

American Academy of Pediatrics/Oct. 20-23

American Society of Plastic Surgeons/Oct. 26-30

EMS Expo, Inc./Oct. 29-Nov. 2

Also consider avoiding the October Tulane and Saints home football games.

Edited: 24 February 2012, 18:20
Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to visit -- May or October?

If you want quiet then go in the summer. Yes it's hot but wow it's inexpensive. $69 deluxe rooms at Place D'Armes and small crowds. Plus May can be very hot down there as well and still higher prices for the hotels.