We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Swamp Tour?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Which Swamp Tour?

My girlfriend and I will be traveling to NOLA the last week of March. We are very interested in taking a swamp tour and have two questions.

1) Is this a good time of the year to take a swamp tour, or will most of the wildlife still be MIA in hibernation?

2) Which tours are the best? It seems that the two most frequently recommended are the Honey Island Tours (http://www.honeyislandswamp.com/) and the Cajun Encounters Tours (http://www.cajunencounters.com/) . Are there any differences between these two? Which would you recommend?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Swamp Tour?

Both tours will be fine. They actually only get you to the swamp, then it's the swamp tour company that takes over. They go through the same swamp. As for seeing wildlife, you will see some, but maybe not as much as you would in June for example. But it's stil worth it. The swamp tour is so beautiful and sooo relaxing, just that make's it worth it. And you will ssee some wildlife. Take the afternoon tour, your chances will be much better of seeing a higher number of animals.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Swamp Tour?

HL--As warm as it's been in New Orleans this winter (yeah we all check the temps everyday) the gators should be out and about and you should see them. We saw a couple in February when we did a swamp tour--and it had been a lot colder that winter. My personal preference is Honey Island with Cajun Encounters. I totally agree with Porelly! The swamp is gorgeous and very relaxing...definitely worth it!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Swamp Tour?

We will be taking the Cajun Encounters swamp tour. We are driving there ourselves though. Very much looking forward to it.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Swamp Tour?

There are a couple of different types of "swamp tours" near New Orleans. One type is on a pontoon boat and the other on an airboat. You will need to do the research to see which best fits your desires in this regard.

For pontoon boats, go to the "Tours" section of Slidell, LA, in Trip Advisor.

For airboats, go to the "Tours" section in both Lafitte, LA, and Marrero, LA.

There are lots of reviews there for you to read to help you make up your mind. Also look under "Tours" in New Orleans and you will find lots of tour companies that will provide transportation, but you will probably end up on one of the swamps listed above.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Swamp Tour?

both wagners and cajun encounters are now on a par...a number of years ago that wasn't the case...either will do a good tour.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Swamp Tour?

The NCAA Men's Final Four BB Tournament starts March 29th in NOLA. Do you have a room. If not it will be hard to find one that weekend. I second Honey Island Swamp Tour. Enjoy your visit.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Swamp Tour?

I love both swamps they go to (Honey Island and Manchac) and either one is fine! Like porelly said, the swamps are beautiful and soooo relaxing! By late March, you should see some critters out and about! :)

8. Re: Which Swamp Tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:42