We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 3/2-3/4

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 3/2-3/4

Hello everyone! My husband and I just returned from an amazing weekend in New Orleans for his birthday. We got a rate through Priceline's Name Your Own Price for $100/night at the Sheraton on Canal St. downtown. This hotel was so disappointing and you can find my review that I left of the hotel. I would be pissed if I would have spent the $300+ they were advertising through Priceline.

Friday night, we went and ate at Cochon Butcher- this was excellent. My husband really loved it. My husband tried boudin for the first time which he really enjoyed (I steered clear because it looked like cat food! :)) He got a pork belly/cucumber sandwich and potato salad- really good. I got the pancetta mac and cheese (DELICIOUS) and brisket sliders. This was awesome, we will return. Pretty much crashed Friday night.

Thanks to Axle, we took our car to Premium Parking on Iberville for $20/night. This worked perfectly for us. Compared to the nightmare valet service at the Sheraton for $36/nigh- this is a dream. We will use this again. Thank you, Axle!

Saturday, we walked around all day. Husband went for the muffuletta at Central Grocery that he gets every year and we had some time to go through the little market and visited many art galleries. We also stopped for pineapple and cilantro margaritas at El Gato Negro which are the bomb. We had reservations for Brigsten's that night but we over ate/drank during the day so we ended up canceling. :( Went to Fritzel's which we love that night- such an amazing place. We can't get enough of it.

Sunday morning we went to Muriel's for their jazz brunch- this was really nice and the service there is impeccable. My husband had seafood gumbo and shrimp and grits which he loved. I had a mimosa and the shrimp remoulade. The jazz music, beautiful atmosphere and imeccable service really makes this place stand out. We will most definitely return. Already looking forward to our next getaway to New Orleans!

Mentioned in this post
Cochon Butcher
Cochon Butcher
2,554 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 3/2-3/4

Thank you for the wonderful trip report.

Cochon Butcher has been on my list for every trip and somehow I have never made it there. I am already pretty sure I won't on the upcoming May trip, again. Well, something to look forward to for future trips. :)

Over eating/drinking in New Orleans? Isn't that too easy to do? :)

Mentioned in this post
Cochon Butcher
Cochon Butcher
2,554 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 3/2-3/4

I had to laugh...Boudin does look like cat food.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 3/2-3/4

Hannah--Glad you had a great time and happy belated birthday greetings to your husband. Sorry to hear your hotel wasn't the best. Luckily most of the time when we're in Nola we don't spend a lot of time there. Good for you on the parking too! I can see where a muffuletta and some of those delicious El Gato margaritas could stuff you enough to cancel dinner reservations, but sounds like you had some good food none the less. Did you get a chance to have a drink on Muriel's balcony? That's something I'm looking forward to doing in May! Thanks for the trip report!

Edited: 05 March 2012, 18:36
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 3/2-3/4

Thanks for a great TR. I love Muriel's. Did you get to sit on the balcony overlooking Jackson Square. NOLA is a great city. Come back again soon. Check out the JW Marriott on Canal down from the Sheraton. You will like it much better.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,761 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
JW Marriott New Orleans
JW Marriott New Orleans
2,513 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 3/2-3/4

I really enjoyed brunch at Muriel's too. I'm curious to read you Sheraton review, even though I've long ago stopped staying at chain hotels while in New Orleans- I just like the atmosphere of the boutique hotels much more. I've always wanted to check out Cochon Butcher and it's nice to see you enjoyed your visit there. Thanks for the Trip Report.

Mentioned in this post
Cochon Butcher
Cochon Butcher
2,554 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
601 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 3/2-3/4

other than crummy hotel issues it sounds like a great bday weekend!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 3/2-3/4

Thanks for your report. I read your review of the Sheraton, the parking situation sounds horrible. Glad the rest of your trip went better!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 3/2-3/4

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys! Yes, it was a wonderful weekend trip despites the crappy hotel :) I'm glad some of you got a good laugh about the cat food/boudin comment LOL. We did not eat on the balcony at Muriel's- I didn't inwo that. I've made a mental note and we definitely will next time. It's really a lovely place. And yes, go and try Cochon- it's wonderful!

Mentioned in this post
Cochon
Cochon
2,088 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 3/2-3/4

Hannah, glad to hear it was a lovely weekend regarless of the hotel! Next time, try one of the botique hotels in the Quarter and do a comparison!

I'm looking up Cochon now (altho I doubt it will be May 2012--too much food already planned!) it may make it on the "to do" list!

Mentioned in this post
Cochon
Cochon
2,088 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 3/2-3/4

I guess I have lucked out at the Sheraton...have pricelined it twice and both times got a nice room. Sorry you weren't as lucky.