We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

staying at the Astor next month. heard on TA that there is not a store on site for small purchases such as bottled water,newspaper etc. anyone know if there is such a convenience store nearby?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

There's a Brothers Food Mart across Canal on Carondelet. Rouse's is in the FQ. There's a Walmart across from The Ritz Carlton on Canal. There's a full service Rouse's on Baronne. It just opened.

148 Carondelet St., New Orleans, LA

504-592-1113

Rouse's Market @ 701 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 523 - 1353.

http://shop.rouses.com/

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

Walgreens and Rite-Aid are just across Canal St.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,638 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

Walgreen's

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,889 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

"There's a Walmart across from The Ritz Carlton on Canal." Think that's a typo Axle; the closest Walmart is on Tchoupitoulas St. a pretty good ways from the French Quarter. There is a large CVS drug store at 800 Canal St., catercorner across Canal St. from the Astor, that has most sundries, including drinks and liquor. The Rouse's "Supermarket" on Royal, about 7 short blocks away, is kind of a cool tourist destination on it's own; it's like grocery stores were in the late 50s early 60's New Orleans style. The Brother's convenience store on Carondelet St. (Royal St.) on the other side of Canal St. (close to Astor) is known for having particularly good fried chicken, at least by convenience store standards. Plus, there are tourist shops with somewhat overpriced sundries, trinkets, drinks and liquor all up and down Canal St.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

Loop--Brother's has some really dang good fried chicken, and the pieces are HUGE too! If you make the trek to Brother's the fried chicken is definitely worth a try. Gotta be a heck of a lot cheaper than room service too!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,889 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

Had the Brother's chicken on a bus trip during Mardi Gras and it was good; wasn't pipin' hot fresh when I tried it so I can't judge it totally fairly.

BTW Halifax, stayed 6 nights at the Astor Crowne Plaza three weeks ago if you need any other particular information. The hotel restaurant, Bourbon House, has raw halfshell oysters that are as good as I've ever had.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

There's also a Walgreen's at 134 Royal Street and across the street from it, but still on the first block of Royal is a little convenience store that has a nice selection of fresh fruit, muffins and drinks. I never looked at the sign, so I don't know the name of the place.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

Loop..........sorry about that. It's a Walgreens I think. I have been in there a dozen times. Thanks for the correction. Where is the closest Walmart to the FQ. Out in Metairie.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,889 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

Soulcat, it's Unique General Store also sometimes known as Unique Grocery. And that it is. They sell the streetcar/bus passes (not so important now), along with a broad selection of beer and liquor. Never noticed the fruit; shows where my head is at.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,889 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Convenience store near Astor crown plaza hotel

The closest Walmart, I have passed it by but never stopped in, is:

1901 Tchoupitoulas St (between Jackson and Felicity)

New Orleans, LA 70130

The Canal St. CVS is on the same block as the Walgreen's, the CVS being on the side closest to the Astor; in Texas it seems that CVS and Walgreen's are always within a block or two of each other.