We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe

renfrew ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
safe

thinking about travelling to new orleans for our 35th wedding anniversary

are all parts safe to visit

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe

Of course not. There is no city in the world where all parts are safe...can you please be more specific about which parts?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe

A lot of Canadians visit NOLA all year long. It's very safe if you visit the places that tourists frequent which is the FQ, CBD, WHD, Garden District and Uptown. It's very safe in the daytime. Late at night you should be cautious. Don't walk around late at night by yourself. If you stay in the tourist areas you will be fine. Cabs are inexpensive. You will enjoy NOLA.

renfrew ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe

sorry just starting to research New Orleans for our anniversary and a friend told me it was not safe to visit we are looking at the tourist area of French Quarter. No nothing about this part of the country...

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe

Read through this forum, and check out the NO tourism website. It'll be a good start.

neworleansonline.com

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,310 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe

My husband and I have been to New Orleans more than forty times, most recently this pastDecember and we are planning our next trip I'm May. We have never had a problem of any kind. Come on down and visit this amazing city. Most first time visitors usually prefer to stay in the French Quarter to be close to the action.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe

Larry...sorry, didn't mean to be so "short" in my answer (but I'm at work and got interrupted!) I'm going to make the leaping assumption that your friend who says it isn't safe has never been to New Orleans or the French Quarter in particular. The Quarter is as safe as any tourist "trap" can be (with the exception of the San Antonio Riverwalk area!) As for hotel, do you want to be on or NEAR Bourbon? My first 3 visits were ON Bourbon Street (truly the tourist thing to do) and my last six visits have been in the lower (quieter!) Quarter. By all means, stay on Bourbon for your first visit to get the full FEEL of it! Inn on Bourbon is the perfect location. If you want noise (as in not getting any sleep!) ask for a room facing the street. If you want quiet, ask for a courtyard room. It's centrally located to everything you could want to see on a first visit! And trust us, you won't walk but a few steps to be in a bar!

renfrew ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe

Thanks from what I have read this is going to be an amazing spot for our anniversary

Let the research begin! Cheers

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe

Larry--New Orleans is amazing place period! I'm sure you guys are going to have a blast! I agree with Herm with the Inn On Bourbon for your first visit! You will be right in the heart of everything there. Have a great time and we're always here to answer questions!

Steubenville, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safe

Hi everyone,

I posted a few weeks ago regarding a first time trip in a couple months. Thanks to everyone who replied to my initial post. I am still planning on coming to NOLA and I continue to research almost daily.

I agree with everyone that there is no place that is completely safe but I have to admit that everyone I tell that I'm planning a trip to NOLA, I get surprised looks.

The more I read, the more I am looking forward to visiting but honestly there are some scary comments regarding safety in some of the trip advisor reviews on things to do, etc.. My concern is not to venture into an area accidently especially because I've not been there before.

We actually did this in Charleston, SC. We went on a ghost tour and the tour was at an old jail. It was too far of a walk from our hotel so we took those pedicabs. It was only myself, husband and young son at the time along with one tour guide and one other couple. When the tour was over it was past 10:00 o'clock and the others got in their cars and left. We were left standing in front of the jail for a while waiting for the pedicab to pick us up at a prearranged time. The tour was over earlier than expected so we had a bit of a wait. This was not in a well lit area and it was rather desolate with some dilapitated (sp) bldgs. The pedicabs finally showed up so all was well.

When I travelled to St. Augustine, FL 2 years ago with my son, I was concerned with safety because again it was an area I had never been to before. But, with planning everything was fine.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my mid May trip and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions. We are stayiing at two hotels ( so many look nice that it was hard to pick just one). I have the first hotel booked but still trying to decide on the second.

Thanks again everyone for all the information on. There are new posts and reviews everyday.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,310 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safe

mrzip - I would imagine that the people who are surprised that you are going to NOLA have never been there themselves. It is a beautiful city that so many of us love passionately, as you can probably tell by reading our comments, trip reviews, etc. It is like any other city where you just need to be aware of your surroundings and use common sense.

My husband and I had the same type of experience as you did when you were in Charleston, except we were in London. We had gone on a Jack the Ripper tour in the not-so-great areas of London, and at the end of the tour, the tour guide unexpectedly just left us at the last location rather than taking us all back to the starting point. It was kind of scary because we had just heard about the JR murders, we were in an unfamiliar, sketchy area of the city, and we didn't have a clue about how to get back. We all made it safely though, and now look back on that as a fun vacation memory.

Regarding staying at two hotels - my husband and I do this on every trip to New Orleans. Once we stayed in five hotels during a seven night period, but usually we just stay at two. I love doing that because it allows me to experience so many more of the beautiful New Orleans than I would by spending the whole time in just one. The move from one hotel to another usually doesn't take long, so we don't mind. Where are you staying for your first hotel, and what are your choices for your second hotel?