We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to see jazz with 15 and 17yo trumpet playing daughter

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places to see jazz with 15 and 17yo trumpet playing daughter

going to NO over Spring Break to look at schools for oldest girl and want to take to a few clubs to see some good jazz and some of the newer rap/zydeco/tuba music whose name escapes me?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to see jazz with 15 and 17yo trumpet playing daughter

Some bars will allow kids in with their parents. Fritzel's on Bourbon is one that's been mentioned recently on TA. If the kids are allowed in, Maison Bourbon also has great dixieland jazz.

Preservation Hall allows all ages and has awsome music.

There's a few places that have music outdoors, so of course the kids would be allowed there: Cafe Beignet (on Bourbon), the Gazebo Cafe and the Market Cafe (both on Decatur, going towards the market).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to see jazz with 15 and 17yo trumpet playing daughter

I would definitely recommend Preservation Hall. My son is a music major there at Loyola University New Orleans & after his first visit to NOLA & Preservation Hall, he was hooked. It made an enormous impression on him & he's not even a brass player.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 12:44
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to see jazz with 15 and 17yo trumpet playing daughter

See:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k515215…

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,629 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to see jazz with 15 and 17yo trumpet playing daughter

Palm Court also since they have the food license...some have said Fritzels but I forgot to check that out the other weekend.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to see jazz with 15 and 17yo trumpet playing daughter

My teens liked Rocknbowl. www.rocknbowl.com

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to see jazz with 15 and 17yo trumpet playing daughter

Rock & Bowl is great, check to see who's playing (you might look to see if Kermit Ruffins is playing).

Dirty Dozen Brass Band is playing Wednesday at the Square on April 4, if that is when you'll be there:

neworleansonline.com/neworleans/festivals/mu…

Also, check out the National Jazz Park--they have lots of live music:

http://www.nps.gov/jazz/index.htm

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to see jazz with 15 and 17yo trumpet playing daughter

Cafe Beignet on Bourbon across from the Royal Sonesta at Legends Park is an outdoor café that offers jazz and blues. Children are welcome. Gazebo Cafe is an outdoor café in front of the Margaritaville store at the beginning of the French Market. They offer jazz and blues. Children are welcome also. They both start the music around noon.

Another option is Sunday brunch at Buffa's on Esplanade/Burgundy from 11:00-2:00. It's an inexpensive local place with a great little jazz band. Use the door on Burgundy.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k418537…

Fritzel’s is a jazz club that allows kids.

Fritzel's @ 733 Bourbon St., New Orleans, LA. 504 - 586 - 4800.

8. Re: Places to see jazz with 15 and 17yo trumpet playing daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:42