We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Unknown
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

Hi,

The kids and I are planning a trip to New Orleans this summer. We are looking for an affordable hotel to stay at, preferably around the French Quarter. I realize that those can be hard to find, but any suggestions? We'd like a place that has a pool.

Also we are thinking about taking the Amtrak there. Are the sleeper cars worth the extra $$$? I've never been on Amtrak before.

We are wanting to go to the park, aquarium, etc. I thought this might be something we could take streetcars to. Does anybody know the hours on these things?

Any other tips and suggestions would be great. This is our first vacation together. We would also like to take a swamp tour, plantation tour, and ghost tour. Thanks.

Unknown
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

I saw a suggestion on another post about checking out Priceline. The prices are a LOT cheaper here. Has anyone had any experience with any of the following hotels, and how close are they to the FQ?

New Orleans Courtyard Hotel

Quality Inn Maison St Charles

Thanks!

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

Well it depends on when you are coming. How many kids are coming with you? One room or two?

Unknown
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

Hi,

It would be 2 kids both under 12. We are looking at the second week in June and maybe staying a week. Thanks for your help!

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

Well the 3 star FQ hotel on Priceline is 99% always the Holiday Inn. They have a pool and it's affordable. What is your ideal price range? It's currently $106/night on Hotwire.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

The Hotel St. Marie. A nice hotel is $91/night for deluxe rooms and they have a pool.

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

I have price-lined three times and all three times got the Sheraton (4star) on Canal. Twice my bid for $60 (April) was excepted and once for $80 (December)

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

Homewood Suites has 2 BR suites and an indoor pool.

Homewood Suites @ 901 Poydras Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 581 - 5599.

http://tinyurl.com/455ejjw

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

I rode Amtrak from NO to Memphis last October, an 8hr ride, and royally enjoyed it. The train is soooo comfortable, all kinds of leg and head room, such a nice change from being crammed in a plane. Unless you got a really long ride, or you think your kids might need some private time, the seats are quite comforatable. The back reclines and there's a bottom portion you can pull up to support your legs, so you are almost lying down. A pillow and blanket, and you're all set.

I suggest you stay in the French Quarter. June hotel prices should be good as it's the start of the slower season for NO. With the kids, I would think being able to go back and forth to your hotel easily would be a plus.

The aquarium and insectorium are located in the FQ, so you can walk. As for the zoo, you take the St Charles streetcar to the Audubon park, get off there and wait for the zoo van that continuously shuttles people from the zoo to the streetcar line. There's a sign where to wait for the van.

Unknown
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

Thanks so much for everyone's posts. You've been VERY helpful!

western ky
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single Mom Traveling New Orleans

In November we rode Amtrak from Carbondale, IL to Nola. I had my 12yr old with me and it was an awesome trip. I wouldn't do the sleeper, it's not worth the extra money, in my opinion.

We stayed at the Place de Armes when we were there and got a Jr suite. It had a pool and was quite nice.

In fact we had such a good time we are headed back there in May!

Hope you have a great time!