We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking restaurants

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Booking restaurants

I've seen many messages in here about having to book restaurants for evening meals. is this really essential? Can you get by without doing this, or does this just refer to "popular" places? Intend going next easter and first full day will be Good Friday and don't want the hassle of trying to book somewhere especially if i don't know the place.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking restaurants

eric, it's not necessary unless you're going to one of the crowded, more popular fancy places...esp. during a holiday, but there are hundreds and hundreds of choices you can still just "walk into" I don't think I've ever made a reservation in my 8 or 9 trips. If a place is too packed, I just go to the next place that smells delicious (and that's just about every place in NOLA!)

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking restaurants

Thanks for that. I suspected that would be the answer but good to confirm.

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking restaurants

I have never booked a reservation (11th trip starting this Saturday!).

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking restaurants

Only time I made a reservation was for lunch at Commander's Palace.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking restaurants

If you go to Emeril's, Bayona, Mr. B's, Stella, August, Commander's, Coquette, Patois, Clancy's, Brigtsen's, Boucherie or similar places you will need to make reservations. If you follow Herm's suggestion you won't need reservations. NOLA has over 1,200 restaurants. Most don't require reservations.

QOE
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking restaurants

I would definitely make reservations for Sunday Brunch if you intend to go somewhere nice(r) for Easter Sunday. Brunches tend to be busy,

We usually make dinner reservations if we have something planned for the evening like Preservation Hall or a tour but you can certainly "wing it" and still have a great time.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking restaurants

how much does it cost to make a reservation or cancel it...restaurants really appreciated the reservation if possible.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking restaurants

We have been to New Orleans many times, and the only times we have had reservations are for the jazz brunches.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,703 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking restaurants

We usually wing it too - but we don't generally eat at the fancier places, so it isn't a big deal. We did make reservations for Muriel's this time around, but it is an anniversary dinner, so we decided to plan ahead. Usually though, I don't like to have a schedule on trips if I can help it, esspecially in New Orleans. So making reservations doesn't really work well for me.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
95 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking restaurants

If you don't mind an early meal, many places that say they're "booked full" usually have tables available for walk-ins right when they open. We couldn't get a same-day reservation at NOLA, but went when they opened at 6pm and got a table.