We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 3/12 - 3/18 (7 glorious days)

Miami
Level Contributor
444 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

Let me first start out by apologizing to everyone who I criticized for their comments when I asked “anything else to do other then drink & eat”. I found out that in New Orleans eating & drinking is not just feeding the body, it is a spiritual experience. Nowhere else but in New Orleans can food be just as important as the history & vice versa. I found myself eating breakfast & planning my lunch & then eating lunch & planning my dinner – what a gastronomic treat & the booze is not bad either.

The friendliest people in the USA have to be the local’s of New Orleans. Everyone we came in contact with were the nicest, most enjoyable people I have ever met – I swear I’m not lying. Everyone & I mean everyone, was exceptionally nice; everyone had helpful tips, directions, information, they were just plain nice & considerate - kudos to New Orleans.

This is my list of places we ate & drank & then ate & drank again. As much as we tried, we never made all the places on our list, but that just gives us an excuse to go back to New Orleans. At home we never eat carbs or anything fried – in New Orleans everything we ate was carbs &\or fried, but I wouldn’t have missed it for anything. My favorite place to eat was; Coop's Place, not a restaurant but a bar\pub with great food & Jacques-Imo's Café, a small place with big flavors. But my all-time favorite place & thing that I ate in New Orleans was the All Things NOLA Sunday at Sucre. I am still dreaming about this yummy ice-cream sunday.

Food & Drinks

B&C Seafood - 2155 Highway 18m Vacherie

Food was good & low-priced Cajun food located between the Oak Alley Plantation, 3645 Louisiana 18, Vacherie & Laura Plantation, 2247 Louisiana 18, Vacherie. We had the 3lb of crawfish for $20.

Cafe du Monde - 800 Decatur Street

Loved their famous beignets (fried donut covered with powdered sugar) & Cafe au lait (coffee with chicory & cream). We went every morning for the coffee & beignets - Lines are long but it only takes around 15 minutes to get a table.

Court of Two Sisters

Food was so-so – the best thing about this restaurant is that they have a live jazz brunch everyday from 9am to 3pm for $29

Bon Ton 401 Magazine Street

Flood was good but not one of the best creole restaurants as we were told. We had

Central Grocery - 923 Decatur Street

Love their muffuletta sandwich - ham, salami, provolone & garlicky olive spread & Zapp’s chips.

Coop's Place - 1109 Decatur Street

This was our favorite place to eat at & we liked it so much we went back 2 times & could have gone everyday but we wants to sample other places. We had the sampler platter & the Cajun fried chicken served with Rabbit & Sausage Jambalaya.

Cochon - 930 Tchoupitoulas Street

Food was OK - had their signature dish: pork, brussels sprouts & mac & cheese. The pork was shredded & shaped into a paddy not very nice-looking but was tasty.

El Gato Negro, 81 French Market Place

We had the house margaritas, fresh orange, tangerine and lime with a touch of tequila.

French Market Restaurant - 1001 Decatur St

We had a po boy sandwich – food was OK but the best part is that we sat on the open balcony on the 2nd flood to people watch.

Jacques-Imo's Cafe -, 8324 Oak Street, Carrollton - Dinner only - 5:30-10pm

Great food & the locals love this place & I can see why – it was fabulous even with the 1 hour wait we had to do. We had the alligator sausage cheesecake appetizer (a must try for everyone).

Johnny's Po-Boy - 511 St. Louis Street

Very good & they have a large selection of po boys – we had the alligator sausage, couldn’t eat it all & saved the rest for our mid-night snack.

Monteleone Hotel 214 Royal Street for the Carousel Bar

We had a milk punch, it is like a lighter version of eggnog – you will love it. You have to go & sit at the bar – it look like a carousel & it even turns – it’s the bar not all those milk punch you had.

NOLA Restaurant 534 St Louis Street - an Emeril’s restaurant

Wonderful food, ambiance & service – can’t go wrong with an Emeril’s restaurant. We had shrimp & grits & they were wonderful.

Pat O'Brien's - 718 St Peters St, we had the Hurricane (4 oz of fruit juice, 4 oz of rum) be careful! We sat out in the courtyard enjoying our drinks & the evening.

Sucre – 3025 Magazine Street, - 504-520-8311 – 8am to 10pm

We went for the cupcakes & had the Salted caramel cupcake $4, it was ok but nothing to recommend or get excited about. But the All Things NOLA Sunday with Bananas Foster Sauce, Brown Butter Pecan Gelato, Bread Pudding Pieces, Whipped Cream, Roasted Pecans $8.50 was the most spectacular, magnificent, scrumptious thing I have ever eaten.

Tropical Isle -721 Bourbon St

Had to have the Hand Grenade, it has the strongest-grain alcohol 190 proof & the Shark Attack was also a hit. This was my daughter’s favorite place, so we went every night.

Tours & other Places

Drinks – we all tried the hurricane, hand grenade, mike punch & the margarita - but my favorite was the Creole Bloody Mary, every place had them & they while they were all a little different they were all delicious. We even had then for breakfast at a dinner – who knew!

Jazz – we hit Frenchmen Street & found the Spotter Cat music club at 623 Frenchmen St. Music was great but we only stay for an hour only because there was nowhere to sit. So many places on Frenchmen Street for great music you can’ go wrong.

Plantations – we rental a car for the day & went to see the Oak Alley Plantation & Laura Plantation with a stop for lunch at B&C Seafood. My favorite plantation was the Laura Plantation; our guide was a wealth of knowledge on the plantation & New Orleans.

Oak Alley Plantation - $18 per person – 10 to 4 - 3645 Louisiana 18, Vacherie, (225) 265-2151

Laura Plantation - $18 per person – 10 to 4 - 2247 Louisiana 18, (225) 265-7690

St Louis Cemetery #1 - We did the Save our Cemeteries Tour (http://www.saveourcemeteries.org) this tour company is always recommended on TripAdvisor & our guide was well-informed & enjoyable. This cemetery was just a short 15 minute walk from Cafe du Monde. When we got to the grave of Marie Laveau I made my wish & left a few coins as my present – now only time will tell if my wish will come true.

Zoo, Aquarium, IMAX Theatre & Insectarium

Zoo -6500 Magazine Street 800-774-7394 – took us around 4 hours to see it all. Get the ticket that includes the Zoo, Aquarium, IMAX Theatre & Insectarium for around $40. You can’t beat the price & the Zoo was wonderful. I loved all the exhibits but my favorite was the swamp. So if you don’t have time to do a swamp tour, this section of the zoo is great. You feel as if you have been to the swamp minus the bugs.

Aquarium 1 Canal Street – small but great exhibits, my favorite was the parakeets section. For a $1 you buy a stick with bird-seeds & when you step into the room the parakeet will land on your hand to eat the seeds.

IMAX Theatre – just next to the Aquarium – we saw the film about pre & post Katrina. I glad we saw the film because I didn’t want to go see the actual disaster area. We are from Miami & hurricane Andrew was 20 years ago & we still have not fully recuperated from our disaster.

TIP – do your research, make your list & then go with the flow. Eat when you are hungry, drink when you see something you like but don’t sweat it if you can’t make all the places on your list. There is always next time & you know there will be a next time.

I know I have forgotten so many things that I wanted to tell you, but in conclusion – there are so many places to see, eat, & drink at & so little time to do it all. I know I am going back to New Orleans, how about you?

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

Awesome, awesome, awesome trip report and even better to have a "doubter" ready to go back..

Your explanations of sights, sounds and experiences were wonderful - newbies should look this up to answer some of the repeated questions before they're even asked....but we all know that won't happen! *wink*

ANYway, congratulations - It sounds like you "got" New Orleans. We welcome you, with open arms, to our favorite club!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
30 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

Thank you for your trip report! I was showing DH the other day the list I have for our trip and he said....they are all places to eat & drink...um yeah that's what I was going for! Looks like I have some new places to add to my list too thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

Thank you for a great detailed report! I realized when I got back frim my recent trip that all of my photos were of food and cocktails:). You are not alone! So glad you loved the people, too. Come back soon -lotsa food waiting for ya!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

Turtle--That was one of the nicest, happiest trip reports I have read! Sounds like you had a magnificent time too! All that great food, drinks, and that awesome All Things Nola dessert! You did a TON of things too--and I'll bet you now have a ton more things to do on your list! Glad you got to enjoy everything so much and I am in total agreement about how nice people are in New Orleans! Thanks for the report! I can't wait to be back--only 35 days from now!

Oh yes! Welcome to the Nola support group!

Edited: 03 April 2012, 19:35
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,629 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

Great! Next time around try the muffs at Franks and the jazz brunch at Muriel's and generally we limit the food intake from the french market restaurant to the fresh boiled..one of the few in the quarter to do it...

Miami
Level Contributor
444 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

cajunyank

You right at the French Market Restaurant, after we had order our sandwiches we saw the boiled crawfish & regretted our choice. But there is always next time.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

Great trip report, thanks for sharing.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

Sounds like a great time. And I've never noticed that the French Market Cafe had a 2nd floor, so txs for mentionning it.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

***The friendliest people in the USA have to be the local’s of New Orleans. Everyone we came in contact with were the nicest, most enjoyable people I have ever met – I swear I’m not lying. Everyone & I mean everyone, was exceptionally nice; everyone had helpful tips, directions, information, they were just plain nice & considerate - kudos to New Orleans.***

Well said! I think that's why everyone falls in love with NOLA. You feel like you belong there with everyone being so warm & welcoming. And when you return you pick up with your dearest friend like you never left. Ya feel the love!

I agree with Cochon. It was the low light meal of our trip.

Glad you had a great time! These regulars here will make SURE of that!

Alabama
Level Contributor
415 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report 3/12 – 3/18 (7 glorious days)

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your TR! Thanks so much for posting it. You had an amazing stay.