We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to head first?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
699 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Where to head first?

We will be arriving June 1 for our first trip to NOLA. We are staying at the Royal Sonesta, and should be getting to the hotel around 11:00 am.

Where should we head first? We come out of the hotel, do we head east/west/north/south? We might want to get something to eat...lunch? But I guess I want to have some kind of game plan to start with.... don't want to stand there with my hubby for 15 min. saying "What do we do, where should we go?" I mentioned this on another thread, but sometimes I do so much reading/reasearch about our trips, I get information overload and get overwhelmed when I acutally get there and then don't know what to do!!

So come on folks, or floks ;-)..... help get us started!

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to head first?

If I were you, I'd head out in search of maybe a Bloody Mary....I am directionally challenged, but stepping out of the hotel, I'd turn left and at the corner take another left and go two blocks to Chartres....turn right and go to Daisy Duke's for that drink to geaux (It will be garnished with a crawfish.....only in New Orleans!:). Then I'd keep going on Chartres for 1/2 block and cross Canal....another half block away is Red Gravy. I'm pretty sure that's what I'd do first.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 15:09
Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to head first?

Good call, LD, bloody mary. Feel the magic, but don't kill it with food right away.

Personally, I would turn right and stop in the Tropical Isle for the bloody, and you might even get some live local music if you stay until 1 pm.

By now, you are good and hungry, mostly good. Now, head over to the RG. Chicken and waffles, and a couple of meatballs on the side.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,624 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to head first?

Being as that I'm not a bloody mary drinker I would head for Pat O'Brien's, sit in their beautiful sunny court yard, listen to the splashing fountain, have a hurricane THEN head to Red Gravy for the fried chicken/waffles and meatballs on the side!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to head first?

A great way to get your bearrings is to go a carriage ride of the Quarter. It's a great way to get your 1st glimpse of the area. Just head for the middle of the FQ, look for the roof of the big white church, and the carriages are there.

Richmond, IN
Level Contributor
36 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to head first?

The French Quarter's streets do not go north-south or east-west so it is hard to give normal directions. I would take my time and not have anything planned for two or three hours. Jackson Square is a couple blocks towards the river and a couple of blocks down river from the Royal Sonesta. Once there you can wonder down through the French Market. Of course the advice about the hurricane at Pat O'Brien's isn't bad either. It is just down Bourbon St. a few blocks.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to head first?

Yes, first head towards the river and take a walk along the levee. Then head east (towards the FRONT of the steamboat Natchez) until you are directly in front of the St Louis cathedral. Then walk towards the Cathedral and spend some time in the Jackson Square area. Then ask for directions to the French Market and stop and browse in the stores that you will pass. If you take it nice and easy, it will now be close to lunchtime and there will be plenty of choices to eat. After lunch, take a buggy ride or a ride in the steamboat Natchez or just do some more shopping lr browsing.

Breaux Bridge...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to head first?

I would walk to Jackson Square and walk around there aimlessly. Admire the cathedral from the outside. Look at the shops. Check out the carriages. Go over to the river and take in the Mississippi. Take notice of Café du Monde on the way.

Then I'd whip out a map and check my orientation. I'd marvel that I was at the center of the historic part of an old American city. Finally, I would decide if I want a drink, a lunch, or a carriage tour.

Breaux Bridge...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to head first?

Sorry, watsup1000! I started my post, then did a chore, finished it, and read that you already had all my best suggestions. Great minds think alike.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to head first?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good advice from both of us!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to head first?

I agree with the last post. Jackson Square is the epicenter of the city imho and the river is the reason for the city's existence. The bars are the biproduct of the raucous lifestyle of the characters that river brought. I like Central Grocery, just down colorful Decatur from the square, for a first lunch and a look at the folks who supposedly invented the Muffeletta - that sandwich that's hard to spell but easy to eat. The folks at the CG are likely descendants of those raucous river guys, and your first taste of some true locals. There is argument of the best Muff in town but agreement that the CG folks answer to nobody's rules but their own. The interior of St Louis Cathedral (on Jackson Square) is the most beautiful space in the city except maybe the lobby of the Roosevelt Hotel, and it's free. So see a little history, have a little local food, see the characters of New Orleans and then have some drinks :)