We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

Anyone know if Big Al has ever returned to New Orleans after Katrina? Last I read, he was in Texas, but I'd love to meet him in person during our visit this summer...

He shined shoes down at Jackson Square and sold his funky signs about eggs and shoes and whatnot...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

Lily--Big Al (who has gone on a diet from what I've heard--cheering him on for that) is at The Funky Pirate right on Bourbon Street! Just remember if you go see him to turn off your phone...or he may make you walk around with his tip jar as punishment! You gotta love Big Al for that!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

Deny, I am certain that Big Al at The Funky Pirate is NOT the same person who was shining shoes on Jackson Square. He has been a singer for many years. He has been at Funky Pirate at least 15 yrs, maybe more

Edited: 02 May 2012, 22:00
San Diego...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

Nope, that's not my man - that's Big Al Carson the musician... Big Al Taplet (his little brother is known as Little Al) is a folk artist.... that being said, I do plan to swing by the Funky Pirate to see Big Al Carson when we get into town...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

My Bad! Got my Big Al's confused...never mind....

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

Go early and hear Mark & The Pentones too! They play Fri, Sat & Sun 4-8 PM

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

And go even earlier on Sat. or later on Sun to hear Willie Lockett and the All Purpose Blues Band....noon-4:00 on Sat. 8:00-close on Sunday.

Flyover, Country
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

Thank you SKT54.

I think Big Willie "The Hambone" Lockett and the All Purpose Blues Band might be one of the most underrated bands on Bourbon Street.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

I don't disagree with that, I love me some Big Willie "The Hambone" Lockett and the APB. They rock!

Actually they were the first band I really got hooked on, (when they were at the 544 Club), and started following. We always checked their website before a trip to see when and where they were playing. In fact, that is how we first found Mark Penton. He was sitting in for Bad Billy Gregory who was out sick.

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

The last I read he had relocated to Houston but this was back in 2007.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Al Taplet - shoeshine man & artist

Both Big and Little Al are still in Houston, they live in the apartment below my wife and I. They're still making art, though not as much is selling these days, but they are two of the coolest guys I've ever met.

People come by occasionally just to see them, I think their phone numbers are on their website if you want to get in touch.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 03:30