We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

I have researched the hotels in the French Quarter online, and am pretty overwhelmed. We're two retired ladied visiting for a few days. Although the "local sounding" french names, like Hotel Le Marais, Ste marie,and Monteleone sound full of culture, would we be better off to stay at the Holiday Inn or Marriott? I feel like they might be safer, and we could get the culture during our daily jaunts.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

The French Quarter is safe. Don't judge your decision on a name. I'm a single gal who's been to NO 3 times now, and returning in the morning. I've stayed at the Place D'Armes hotel, which is very nice and has a gorgeous courtyard, and is smack dab in the middle of the Quarter, justs around the corner of Jackson Square.

Last time, I stayed at the Chateau Hotel which is a couple of blocks further down. Nothing fancy, but a lovely otel with great pricing.

A lot of the hotels in the Quarter are what's called boutique hotels, each with their own quirks and charms. But they are not cookie cutter hotels. 1st decision to make is what kind of place you want. That will help narrow your decision.

Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
245 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

Highly recommend LeMarais! Very contemporary; and very safe. It is in the heart of the French Quarter, but having an inside courtyard room you would never know it. (Just request a room away from the elevator) You can walk to everything! Their free breakfast buffet is a plus too!

Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

I just returned from a week visit. It is my opinion that the FQ and surrounding neighborhoods are all safe. I'd go for a boutique hotel over the chains if I could afford it. Enjoy your trip.

AR
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

All the hotels you mentioned are very safe, however, if you prefer a bit larger hotel with New Orleans ambience, try the Monteleone, the OMNI Royal or, perhaps, the Bourbon Orleans.

I am a retired woman and live on Bourbon St. You will be safe as long as you remember you are in a city and act accordingly. Be cautious, as you would anywhere. Just be sure not to carry large amounts of cash, or wear flashy jewelry. I usually advise not to carry a purse and wear clothes with buttoning pockets for your cash, credit cards, cell phones. Though most have no trouble, I have had friends who have been pickpocketed, or had their purse/cell snatched. The French Quarter is particularly safe, since there is usually a large police presence. I generally walk anywhere I want in the Quarter or surrounding neighborhoods in the day, but make sure there are others going the same direction after dark, or call a cab or pedicab. You will have a great deal of fun, learn a lot, soak up culture and want to return soon!

Huntingdon Valley...
Level Contributor
149 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

I am 50, went a month ago with my 25 year old daughter, We stayed at the Hotel Le Marais, just the two of us. We couldn't have been happier, Its located in a nice area, 1/2 a block from the Bourban Street. But you would never know it. Its a beautiful modern hotel. We asked for a room away from the elevator. It was very quiet. Felt very safe.

The location was great, We seems to be within walking distance of everywhere. I would highly recommend it. We were looking at older hotels that were cheaper, but my husband felt more comfortable with us staying in a newer, modern clean hotel. I think it would be perfect for the two of you. And its ranked #2 on Tripadvisor.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,894 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

Because it's a historic area, most ot the hotels in the interior of the French Quarter are smaller "boutique" properties (60-120 rooms), although there are several larger properties, Bourbon Orleans, Hotel Monteleone, Omni Royal Orleans and Royal Sonesta, the last three being large "full service" hotels. All of the full service properties are considered very reputable. Smaller properties in the interior of the French Quarter pretty universally considered very reputable would include: Bienville House Hotel, Dauphine Orleans Hotel, Hotel Provincial, Place D'Armes Hotel, The Inn on Bourbon, Hotel le Marais and Hotel Mazarin, the last two being in newly renovated older buildings. All of the hotels I have listed I consider "NewOrleanish", but the last two, being newly renovated, put a contemporary twist on the concept.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

I think the Omni Royal Orleans would be a good fit for you two. It has a perfect location in the heart of the French Quarter but also is part of a reputable chain, an older established hotel with a bit of character, gorgeous rooftop and amazing staff. The front doormen have been there for decades and look after you like you are their best friend. You can join their Omni Select program for free and get some nice perks. My second choice for you would be the Monteleone. The most basic rooms can be tight for two at either place, so if you check prices at either place. I'd price a slightly upgraded room.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

Hotel St Marie is a very nice boutique hotel and has some nice big rooms. You will never regret staying in the French Quarter

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

boutique is our style...we are heading for the place d armes for the next six nights...three courtyards, pool, landscaping, great location, safe, and a neat included continental breakfast of crossaints, coffee, juice, fruit, danish, muffins in a european style bistro looking out at st. ann....also the st marie is very nice and old style and also a nice courtyard and safe. we've been to the st marie about 8 times

Allentown...
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel suggestions in French Quarter

Last year we stayed at the Place de Armes and loved it. Our friends stayed at the Holiday Inn. After they saw the charm of our hotel they were upset with their decision to save a few dollars! We never felt unsafe there.