We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant with a car?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
86 posts
528 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant with a car?

Hey all, so i'll be in NOLA with 8 guys staying in the FQ. We're renting 2 cars to do the Cajun Pride swamp tour on Friday, May 25th. Since it's the only night we'll have vehicle transportation for the whole group, are there any restaurants we should consider for Friday night while we have the car? Thanks in advance!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant with a car?

Fancy or casual?

Breaux Bridge...
Level Contributor
362 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant with a car?

You will not be far from Middendorf's. It's a seafood restaurant that many people swear by. I like it.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
86 posts
528 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant with a car?

Sorry, should have specified, definitely casual! And thanks Lisbette, i'll definitely check out Middendorf's.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant with a car?

Ive heard great thinks about Crescent City Sausage n Pie company from locals n visitors alike. My folks really liked Joey K's. Parkway Bakery n Tavern was great-roast beef sandwich was nutty good!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
86 posts
528 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant with a car?

Thanks Beachbum, I have also heard great things about Parkway! Will have to look into the others, really appreciate the feedback!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant with a car?

Where are you staying. Will you rent the car downtown or at the airport. If you are staying in the FQ and returning the car downtown you have a lot of choices.

If your swamp tour is E of NOLA there are several choices. If you want great fresh seafood and an outstanding view of Lake Pontchartrain get off I 10 at Exit 209 and go N on Highway 51 one mile to Peavine Road. Take a right and go another mile to Frenier Landing Restaurant. The Crab Trap is also a great place for fresh seafood next door to Frenier Landing. CT is only open Thursday/Friday/Saturday for dinnner.

Frenier Landing Restaurant @ Peavine Road, LaPlace, LA 985 - 224 - 2178.

http://www.frenierlanding.com/

Crab Trap @ 100 Peavine Road, Laplace, LA 985 - 651 - 4150.

urbanspoon.com/r/…Crab-Trap-Laplace

If you have never been to Middendorf's Restaurant you must stop at Exit 15 off I 55. Go E to Highway 51 and turn right. Go S about a mile to some fine fresh seafood right off the boat. They also serve great salads, gumbo, sandwiches and steaks. Stop to rest even if you don't eat. Get a cold drink and head back.

Middendorf's @ 30160 Highway 51, Akers, LA 985 - 386 - 6666.

http://middendorfsrestaurant.com/

You may want to consider Drago's which is famous for their chargrilled oysters. It's in Metairie.

There are a lot of choices if you plan to return to the FQ. Please let us know your plans.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 16:14
Sacramento
Level Contributor
286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant with a car?

I always rent a car for a couple days while in NOLA. One of the reasons we did for this last trip was to go to Cajun Pride Swamp Tours, check out the cemeteries in Metarie and go to Longue Vue House. I hope you enjoy that swamp tour - we loved it! Our guide (I think his name was Captain Allen, but not sure.) recommended a place to have lunch just down the road (on past the Interstate), it was called Pier.....(can't remember the rest of the name - ask them at Cajun Pride). The guide recommended it for their fried seafood. It's kind of divey and we had some of the best fried fish of the trip. I had planned to go to Parkway that day since we had the car, but this was great.

Be careful driving in NOLA. I am used to traffic cameras in California - but mainly at stop lights. In NOLA they are used in more places, especially in school zones. In CA school zones are 25 mph while "children are present". In NOLA it's 20 mph during SPECIFIC times and these times are not easy to read. I was driving down Canal, (toward downtown) looking for spot to turn left to get back toward the cemeteries and drove through one of these zones at 27 mph. I got a little gift in the mail a month later with a fine from Budget for $25 and a $75 speeding ticket from NOLA. (They ticket if you are greater than 6 mph above posted speed on the sign.) It won't deter me from renting a car in the future, but I now know the difference in the school zone speed limits and times. I read a while back that the cameras have been so successful that they are expanding the useage.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
86 posts
528 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant with a car?

Lovin the responses guys! Axle, we are staying at Sheraton Canal Street but renting the car at Enterprise on Baronne St in the CBD. Really appreciate the suggestions on Crab Trap and Frenier's, since those are in Laplace where the Cajun Pride swamp tour is as well. Middendorf's also sounds interesting. Nolafan, thanks for the tips on driving and glad to hear you loved the Cajun Pride tour! I'll be careful with the speeding! And my crowd has no problem with divey restaurants as long as the food is good:) Time to do some research, thanks guys!

Sacramento
Level Contributor
286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant with a car?

As soon as I read Laplace - I remembered the name of the restaurant, Pier 51:

3017 New Highway 51

La Place, LA 70068

(985) 651-0300

Check them out on yelp, etc.

10. Re: Restaurant with a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:41