We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balconey Throw Beads?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Balconey Throw Beads?

We will be in NOLA for July 4th & have a Bourbon St balconey reserved. Should we get throw beads for when we are enjoying a cocktail on the balconey? If so, any recommendations on where to order them?

Thanks for all your help!

Sacramento
Level Contributor
286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balconey Throw Beads?

I wouldn't bother to order them ahead of time and have to pack them. You can buy them at tons of places in the French Quarter. Walk in any store that sell t-shirts, etc and you will find beads. Check out a couple places before buying, just to compare prices.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Balconey Throw Beads?

Beads for sale in the quarter are expensive, depends how many you want, if you really want to have a lot to throw, just type Mardi Gras beads in google and there's plenty. I always order from emardigrasbeads.com and they ship right to your hotel. Seems like 4th of July will be a good time for beads.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balconey Throw Beads?

Beads on Decatur are pretty cheap. Don't buy them on Bourbon St, too expensive.

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balconey Throw Beads?

So how do you get the beads thrown at you? Do you have to show the girls?

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balconey Throw Beads?

Not usually. Just call out for them and wink a little.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 21:50
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,035 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balconey Throw Beads?

If you are going to have REGULAR access to a 2nd story Bourbon St. facing balcony, don't skimp on the beads. For balcony throws order a couple cases (total of 100-150) of 48" (or longer) 16mm (or wider), I like to throw white or hot pink pearl beads. The bead suppliers will ship directly to your hotel (order 7-10 days in advance). However, if you are only going to be on a balcony occasionally, don't worry too much about it, you can just get beads in the French Market. See:

http://www.mardigrasspot.com/

and

http://www.beadsbythedozen.com/

If you have long thick beads, just hang them over the railing and you'll get a response from the girls.

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
429 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balconey Throw Beads?

So do people throw beads all year long? I figured just at MG...is it holidays only or anytime....Also only on Bourbon St or any street in the FQ?

Montgomery, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Balconey Throw Beads?

Google mardi gradis beads and you find them cheaper than NO. Check the beads if your flying.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,160 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Balconey Throw Beads?

"So do people throw beads all year long? "

Just the tourists. :)

For locals (and some frequent visitors like me!) you wouldn't catch them dead wearing beads outside of carnival season.So anyone wearing them in July will definitely be a tourist. Not that it's a bad thing, it's all in fun.

(OK, I will fess up to wearing beads if I'm in town for Saint Patrick's Day...)

blacksburg va
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Balconey Throw Beads?

I will just have to get atleast 1 set,our 1st stay.

but saw a post saying to check them??? is there any reason we cant take them home in our carry on?

sorry its early and my caffine hasent kicked in yet.