We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September at Harrahs Hotel

PA
Level Contributor
386 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
September at Harrahs Hotel

Hi All!

I was orig. booked for Vegas this summer. My OH wanted to push our vacation out to September. So fooling around with Harrahs rate calendar I discovered I could get 4 nights comped at Harrahs New Orleans. I have been thinking about a trip to NOLA for awhile now...and so I booked it! Flights to NOLA are even easier for us as compared to LV and we can fly out of our hometown rather than a two hour drive to an airport nearby. The whole situation looks good. Really getting excited for a vacation where he and I will not be gambling every minute and experiencing something new together!

My only concern is the weather. I have been reading some past posts about September weather, not sure if this will be good or not. Reviews are mixed. I know Harrahs does not have a pool and I'm fine with that. I'll have had enough pool/lake time by the time September rolls around.

Will the bars/restaurants still be busy during the week in September? Is all the action still in full swing?

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September at Harrahs Hotel

There is always plenty of action going on-it doesn't matter what time of year you go. I've gone in September as well and there are people everywhere. My main concern would be hurricanes. It's right in the heavy season in September. I know you may say to yourself, "what are the chances, really?". In 2008 I had a trip scheduled when Gustav hit. It was a nightmare dealing with the airlines. MSY closed and Delta customer service out if India claimed it was still open. Then they told me to take my flight out of Pittsburgh to my connecting flight in Atlanta. If the flight from Atlanta to NOLA was canceled then they would fly me back to Pittsburgh! Remember MSY at this time was already closed so there would be no ATL to MSY flight.

Then when they finally did cancel the flight they said that I could only re-book a trip for travel within 14 days of my original flight. For a good chuckle:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k220913…

Just remember you are taking a chance traveling to NOLA in September. Not trying to scare you off, just have a backup plan and don't be surprised to deal with airlines with whom logic does not apply.

PA
Level Contributor
386 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September at Harrahs Hotel

*sigh* I knew it was too good to be true! No wonder Harrahs gave me all four nites!

Hmmmmm, I have already checked for Oct. The rate calendar did not work in my favor.

I'm keeping this plan for now. I'm afraid if I wait to purchase air the price will go up.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September at Harrahs Hotel

If you're flying out of Pitt then the airfare is very inexpensive compared with other cities. Sometimes we will drive from here in Cleveland and fly out of there to save money. I would suggest looking strongly at flying Southwest if going down there in September. With SW you can cancel your flight with no penalty and use the funds to rebook for up to 12 months. I would still take your trip, just fly with an airline that has refundable rates if possible. Otherwise you will be at their mercy if there is a storm.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 20:30
PA
Level Contributor
386 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September at Harrahs Hotel

Flying SW will require us to travel to Pitt, Buff, or Cleveland. The difference in price is the same as the gas/parking fees. Great tip though. I will think about that. Will SW allow you to use funds after a cancelled flight even on the "wanna get away" fare?

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September at Harrahs Hotel

Yes they will. I had a trip booked for this month and had to move it to June. I purchased it using the wanna get away fare. All I did was cancel my reservation and a few weeks later rebooked. Not every September does a major hurricane hit though. You way just want to roll the dice(no pun intended) and take your chances with the lowest price flight at your airport. Experts are predicting another airfare price hike in July.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,578 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September at Harrahs Hotel

Travel insurance is your friend, and I would never travel without it, especially during hurricane season.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September at Harrahs Hotel

New Orleans hurricane season peaks around September 10-12. the chances of a hurricane significantly affecting your trip are somewhate remote, but see Paul's comments above. If you want to "play the odds" the following site will give you some information:

www.hurricanecity.com/city/neworleans.htm

There is some difference between early September weather and late September weather. In early September daily highs are in the high 80s/low 90s, lows in the mid 70s, with a relatively high chance of rain. In late September daily highs are in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s, with a relatively (for New Orleans) low chance of rain.

PA
Level Contributor
386 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September at Harrahs Hotel

Thanks all! Looking at the Harrahs rate calendar I can get the last week of Sept...(for now LOL) I'll discuss w/ the OH and see what he thinks! This morning I thought I had this all figured out...until I started searching these forums for Sept posts.

PA
Level Contributor
386 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September at Harrahs Hotel

Last week of September booked. All good! Right?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,578 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September at Harrahs Hotel

Sure. Should be great. If it's not, have trip insurance.