We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Festival

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster Festival

Hello Everyone! Just a few questions about the Oyster Festival. Do you pay to get entrance or just for food and drink inside? Do you find that it is better to eat at the actually restaurant or is the food at the festival just as good? Does anyone have a favorite bad that is performing at this years festival? Is the festival laid back or pretty packed. Thanks for all of your help in advance!!!!!!! NOLA in less than 2 weeks...WHOOO HOO!

Lawrence, Kansas
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Festival

That sounds awesome! I'd like some more info on that too, I'll be down there that week also. Thanks pinkhawk for bringing this to my attention!

New York
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Festival

We will be there too. I think that Rockin Dopsie will be there on Sat.

Ga
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster Festival

You only pay for your food and drink, and we've found that the food at the OF is just as good (and sometimes better) than at the actual restaurant. For the past two years it's been small plates for around $5-8 dollars...such a great deal! We're always too stuffed to try everything we want in just 2 days. And last year's cooking demos were wonderful...we loved meeting the chefs and watching them work their magic!!

Our "must-do" food tents are Acme and Drago's. I would add Stanley, but they aren't on the list this year :(

As for music, we don't want to miss the Treme Brass Band, Bonerama, Kermit Ruffins, and of course Irma Thomas to close the fest Sunday evening!

Hope we see all ya'll there! :)

Ga
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster Festival

Oh yeah, I meant to post a link to the website.

http://www.neworleansoysterfestival.org/

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster Festival

The Oyster Festival was just moved from a parking lot to Woldenberg Park on the Riverfront. This is much better as the park is grassy and there is a nice breeze coming from the river. I didn't find the former location desirable at all but this new location could be much nicer. Other than that, my only issue with an Oyster Festival in the summer is that I personally don't eat oysters in the summer. I'm an "R" month kind of oyster girl.

I'm pretty sure the festival is free. I will still check it out. I'll report back.

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster Festival

Thanks for all the replies back. I am super excited and now super hungry reading all about the food.

Ga
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster Festival

Dgratia, I totally get you on the "only eat oysters in months that have an R in them" issue...I feel the same!

I've never understood why the Oyster Fest is in June...for heaven's sakes, if Casamento's is closed, shouldn't that be a sign??

But I can honestly say that I've not had a sub-par oyster at the fest...not that I didn't have my doubts :)

Edited: 23 May 2012, 05:34
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster Festival

I'm posting here to push this to page 1 because I just heard about the oyster festival and then found this thread. Someone might see this and be able to catch the last day of the Oyster Festival. Sadly, it won't be me.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,629 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster Festival

Since its early JunRe, I'll still be having oysters.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oyster Festival

That made me laugh, CY. Ok, is one of you Cajun and the other Yank, or is one Cajunyank and the other DW or DH? I got it down in real life, I'm just not sure about your board names.