We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions Regarding City Park & the Marigny

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Topic
Questions Regarding City Park & the Marigny

Thank you Flokers for all of your wonderful trip reports so far - I've been enjoying them! We are headed down in 4 weeks (for our 4th trip) and I had a couple of questions:

1) What is the easiest way to get to City Park from the FQ? We most want to see the live Oaks; what other free/very low cost attractions do you recommend there?

2) We are very interested in spending more time exploring the Marigny. I was thinking perhaps we would explore this area one morning on the early side, maybe starting with a very light breakfast at Cake Cafe (we're not big breakfast eaters). Would Chartres be a good starting point for this exploration? Where should we walk to get a good feel for this neighborhood? We'll be on foot. Any suggestions for an early in the day drink in this area?

Can't believe the countdown is really on! Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions Regarding City Park & the Marigny

Last year we caught the Canal Street Car in the FQ and road it up to City Park. We had a beautiful day there. The live Oaks are gorgeous, the art museum was good (their cafe is a nice place to lunch) and the Sculpture Park was very, very cool. There were parts of the park we didn't even get to explore. PLENTY to do there if the weather is nice and you enjoy that sort of thing.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions Regarding City Park & the Marigny

In reply to your second question, Chartres is indeed the street I would (and have, twice already) walk to Cake Cafe (excellent breakfast choice, by the way). Really, up to Frenchmen you can take several different streets (Decatur being the shortest way) and after that Chartres takes you through nice, colorful (as far as houses) neighborhood that I personally really like. Make sure to pay attention to details on those lovely shotgun houses.

As for drink, that depends what kind of drink you have in mind. If you want a beer, Friendly Bar is a gay bar that's really ... well, friendly. :) If you want a more sophisticated cocktail, Marigny Brasserie right on Frenchmen is a good choice. Finally, if you want just about any drink and choose to walk Decatur before you get to the Marigny, you will be passing right by Molly's by the Market, always good for a drink. :) Those are just a few examples, there are so many other drink options. :)

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions Regarding City Park & the Marigny

Are you active? If so, you could consider a kayak tour on St John Bayou. It gets excellent reviews and the bayou is near City Park.

Also, there is a city bus that runs on Esplanade from near City Park back to the FQ. You catch it just across the bridge from the Streetcar stop and you could consider it if you miss the Streetcar coming back from City Park.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions Regarding City Park & the Marigny

Thank you all, so much! We're really looking forward to exploring both City Park and the Marigny and I'm happy to hear we were on track for our plans to get to both places. Bake and Watsup - thank you for your guidance on City Park! We'll definitely check out the sculpture garden and the kayak tour on St. John Bayou sounds really interesting as well! Rodent - thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Marigny - your drink spot suggestions are perfect and I'm happy to hear that Cake Cafe is a good breakfast option. I can't wait to meander around and check out the many colorful and interesting shotgun (and other) houses... this type of rambling around, checking out architecture, design, decor, is one of our favorite things to do!

Thank you again everyone!

Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions Regarding City Park & the Marigny

You are super welcome! Have a beautiful time! I have no doubt you will :).

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions Regarding City Park & the Marigny

The New Orleans Museum of Modern Art (NOMA) has free admission on Wednesdays. I love the Besthoff Sculpture Garden and be sure to check out the carousel house if you can. Yuki is one of my favorite spots in the Marigny. It's located on Frenchmen.

7. Re: Questions Regarding City Park & the Marigny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:42