We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swamp Tour

vernon hills...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Swamp Tour

What company is the best to use for swamp tour? There will be 4 adults doing this. Thanks!

Magic Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Flambeaux Bicycle Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swamp Tour

Robster--If you're looking for a pontoon (flat bottom, quiet boat) I would suggest Cajun Encounters. They are great and they pick up and drop off at the hotel too.

If you're looking for an airboat (fast, noiser boat) I will let someone else help you on that one because I have never done it.

The most beautiful swamp is the Honey Island swamp in my opinion.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 16:23
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swamp Tour

We always have liked dr. wagners honey island swamp tour the best for the pontoon covered boat and knowledge of the guides...there are also package deals that do the swamp in Manchac thru cajun pride which are really good too.

Mentioned in this post
Manchac
Manchac
Louisiana
vernon hills...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swamp Tour

Does Cajun do the honey island swamp?

Windsor, Missouri
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swamp Tour

Was just there May 24-25 and did the Black Bayou Airboat tour and LOVED it. Saw so much wildlife (plenty of gators and even a nesting momma who hissed and charged the boat! We sat "still" by her for a good 5 minutes just watching her from about 10 feet away.) The price is super and the guide/driver was a charming gentleman who knew a lot about the ecology of the swamp and the people living around it. Excellent experience for me and 3 teenage kids :) (Be warned, he lives on "Louisiana time" and was 30 minutes late to pick us up at the dock, but extended the tour an extra hour because we were having so much fun so well worth the wait.) And you pay after the tour, so no worries about no shows.

Mentioned in this post
Louisiana
Louisiana
United States
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swamp Tour

Robster--Yes they do! This should help you more!

www.cajunencounters.com/swamp_tour.html

Jarrow, United...
Level Contributor
598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swamp Tour

I went on a swamp tour yesterday, with Cajun encounters, we loved every min of it, we had a great guide by the name of captain try, saw lots of wildlife. He had answers to every question whilst making it fun at the same time. They do pick you up but we drove, it's about a thirty to forty min drive. Highly recommended.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swamp Tour

We've been on all out of the Pearl River since we are not far from there and by far Dr. Wagners leads the pack.

http://www.honeyislandswamp.com/

Mentioned in this post
Pearl River
Pearl River
Louisiana
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swamp Tour

There are a couple of different types of "swamp tours" near New Orleans. One type is on a pontoon boat and the other on an airboat. You will need to do the research to see which best fits your desires in this regard.

For pontoon boats, go to the "Tours" section of Slidell, LA, in Trip Advisor.

For airboats, go to the "Tours" section in both Lafitte, LA, and Marrero, LA.

There are lots of reviews there for you to read to help you make up your mind. Also look under "Tours" in New Orleans and you will find lots of tour companies that will provide transportation, but you will probably end up on one of the swamps listed above.  The concierge at your hotel can also arrange the tours.

My personal favorite is the airboat ride. It is fun in and of itself, plus you get to see some great flora and fauna of the swamp. But, again, you will need to do the research above and then talk it over with you travelling companions to get their preferences.

Mentioned in this post
Slidell
Slidell
Louisiana
Lafitte
Lafitte
Louisiana
Marrero
Marrero
Louisiana
Oshawa, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swamp Tour

I'm in new orleans now. Yesterday, I was on the Cajun Pride Tour as part of my 3 day Power pass so I can't tell you a price, but they picked us up at our hotel for $25 and was worth it. I recommend it for any one

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swamp Tour

I will chime in, I loved the tour with Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tours. I felt the guide was exceptional; he had a degree is fisheries, or something along those lines and had grown up on the swamp. We saw several gators, snakes, nutria, eagles, fish, and some other wildlife. I would definitely go out in a covered pontoon boat, we got close to some brushy areas, that had snakes coiled up near the tops and I was thinking, "What if the wind blew...or that brush swayed on over toward the boat?" LOL. This tour was done in the Spring; so we were able to really see out across the "swamp." Beautiful.