We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

blacksburg va
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

i guess what im saying is.............were going in 2 weeks, I cant say enough about how much i hate heat and humidity,and yeah, well I sure picked an odd time to visit nola but it is what it is right?

knowing I will be seeking ac pretty often,I may not be so selective as to what places we may duck in for some adult beverages haha. me... gotta try a sazerac, expecting a hurricane to be wifes choice,but can they really be so much better in one place vs another? I am sure some places will us ehigher quality mixers but should i avoid any certain places along the FQ

Best Seller
Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
706 reviews
from US$176.00*
Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
941 reviews
from US$48.00*
Best Seller
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
115 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
Natchez Harbor Steamboat Cruise with...
578 reviews
from US$34.00*
US$46.00
blacksburg va
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

actually, asking openly if i should not order one of these at a certain location is probably unfair.

a better way of asking it is .will the diff from any given plac ebe that drastic? no need to name names since like food it can be subjective.

I am a simple man, never had a bad crown and coke so i doubt i would notice if i had a bad sazerac, but I do expect my wife would consider her drink bad if its way to sweet?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

I would suspect you would get a better drink at one of the better restaurant bars than the cornucopia of drink establishments especially along Bourbon Street...Particularly like the sazerac at the sazarac bar in the Roosevelt and hurricanes vary from place to place.

blacksburg va
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

thank you, naturally expected sazerac bar to offer up one of the better ones ,

and the roosevelt sounds great too.

and if all else fails and my wife does not like her hurricane........well I know someone who will be with her that just might help out and finish it for her haha

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

Good ones are just as easy to get as bad ones.

Good ones (all 4 star):

Bourbon House, French 75, Carousel Bar, Mr. B's, Tujaques, Napoleon House, Bar Tonique, Sazerac Bar at the Roosevelt Hotel (go figure).

As cajunyank said, stick with the BETTER bars & restaurants. Avoid having one at a random bar. If you have never had one, you want to start off with a 10 and then compare. Hope you like them as much as I do.

As far as hurricanes, try Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop or Pat O'Brien's, the two most popular places. Let us know which one you prefer.

Edited: 12 June 2012, 16:58
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

Quote from Tomas, the mixologist at the Bar UnCommon, when we mentioned we were going to go to Sazerac Bar next. "I can bet you that I make a better Sazerac than they do at Sazerac Bar". Then he added "I can name 5 bars that are better than Sazerac Bar", so of course I said "name them". Here they are:

Victory

loa bar (they spell their name all lower case so I'm keeping that)

Bar Tonique

French 75

Cure.

I had been to one of them before only. I'm pleased to say that by the end of the trip I had been to them all. I was a bit disappointed with French 75, but I think it might have been an off night and I'll give it another chance. Other than that, all were excellent choices.

Bar Tonique and French 75 are in the French Quarter. Bar UnCommon, loa and Victory are not far from Canal (Do I recall correctly that you're staying at Harrahs? If so, very much your general area). Cure is pretty much out of the way anywhere on Freret.

Here's what Bar UnCommon looks like, I think it's wort a visit even just for the looks (start with this photo and go through the next dozen or so): …photobucket.com/albums/…

I'm guessing you are saying your wife's favourite will probably be a hurricane based on her preference in sweeter drinks. Please, don't limit her to that. Go to any of the bars mentioned above (or quite a few others actually), let her tell the mixologist what kind of flavours she likes and see what they come up with. That's how I got a very complex drink invented for me at loa bar and it was *the best thing I have ever drunk*. But even if you want to stick to the classics, have her try Dark and Stormy, or Ramos Gin Fizz. There's so much more to New Orleans Cocktail than the hurricane!!!!

And by the way, I can't think of a bar in New Orleans that *wouldn't* be air conditioned, so you're safe there. :)

Edited: 12 June 2012, 17:03
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

I don't like the hurricanes at Lafitte's--that doesn't mean that they're not good--but I just prefer Pat O'Brien's. Remoulade serves a good hurricane too. The Ice House Bar (newly built in the Provincial Hotel) does an excellent hurricane made with real fruit juice that we just discovered in May. Gazebo Cafe does a good hurricane as well.

I can't help you with the sazarac because I've never had one of those A1.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

A sazerac requires a talented bartender. Seek out some of the nicer places for that cocktail. When made correctly, it's a magnificent drink. When done poorly, it's sweet and cloying.

I have to admit, Lou makes the best sazerac I've ever had, but the best bars in the nicest places come a very close second.

Hurricanes....that's another story. Personally, I think they are too sweet to have even one.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

I agree with you completely Vera.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

Vera, you guys need to open a bar at Red Gravy. I'd so much like to try Lou's Sazerac. =)

blacksburg va
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can you get a bad sazerac or hurricane?

stopping in to meet vera is on my list haha.

oh boy,so many names and places.............. getting old, will be hard remembering the great suggestions haha.

btw vera,I grew up in jersey too.jersey city to be exact.